transcription is gibberish

lea mar

Apr 5, 2021, 7:34:29 PM4/5/21
to Plover
I have no problems running Plover with my Stentura400 but the translation comes out on my computer screen as some unknown Greek gibberish -- makes absolutely no sense.  Does anyone know why this is happening?

Benoit Pierre

Apr 5, 2021, 7:57:37 PM4/5/21
to ploversteno
On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 1:34 AM lea mar <leama...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have no problems running Plover with my Stentura400 but the translation comes out on my computer screen as some unknown Greek gibberish -- makes absolutely no sense.  Does anyone know why this is happening?

You'll have to provide more information:
- what version of Plover are you using?
- what's your operating system?
- do you get the correct strokes in the paper tape?
- in which application are you typing?
- define Greek gibberish: can you provide an example of the expected and actual outputs?

Cheers,

--
A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb?

Noelia

Apr 5, 2021, 11:46:29 PM4/5/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
I think you may check and provide more info to get a more precise
answer, for example, the system you're using, installed plugins,
active dictionaries, if you can type correctly with the standard
keyboard, if this happens in one or more text processors or editors,
operative system, etc.
Hope this helps.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ploversteno/f8d3805f-3578-45e7-a346-7822317ee6dfn%40googlegroups.com.

lea mar

Apr 6, 2021, 1:11:03 PM4/6/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pierre and Noelia for your responses.  My laptop is a chromebook which Plover won't work on so I'm using my husband's computer
and I think it's Windows 10. I'm using  MS Word, and yes I can read my notes very
well on the paper tape with only occasional shadowing. I believe I'm using the 3.1.1 version of Plover that is on their
website -- is there a newer version.?
 I don't have a clue about plug ins.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Plover" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ploversteno/CAAtLpyeV2xVQzfhX0DrFPczEYtZEuqwxtVbB1D2tA5mZDOknag%40mail.gmail.com.

christop...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2021, 1:24:24 PM4/6/21
to Plover
Shot in the dark, perhaps the wrong machine is selected. For example, when I use my Stenomod, I have to use the TX Bolt option. But when I use my Diamante, I have to use the Stentura option.  When you click the configure button, and you go to the machine tab, does it say Stentura?

The only time I've seen hieroglyphics was during a printer malfunction. It's possible there's something going on in your RAM. It might be worth restarting the computer to refresh it.

lea mar

Apr 6, 2021, 1:46:25 PM4/6/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Yes Chris, it does say Stentura and Connected.  I guess I could try some of the other options such as TX though
and see what happens.  It actually does translate some of my words and briefs but only a small portion.  I can't
believe my writing skill is that bad!

christop...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2021, 1:56:30 PM4/6/21
to Plover

It's unlikely to be your writing skill unless you're talking about untranslated letters. Are you talking about untranslated letters or are you talking about actual hieroglyphics / wingdings type stuff?  Untranslated strokes might look like /STPHAO or /STRAEUR or something like that.  If stuff is not translating, it means the software is working fine, but there may not be a dictionary loaded, or there may be a very small dictionary loaded. Do you know what dictionary you have loaded?

I keep an old RTF copy of mine. You can maybe use it to test whether it's the dictionary. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0m490ef0bhga4y/Personal%20Dictionary_D.rtf?dl=0

lea mar

Apr 6, 2021, 4:44:01 PM4/6/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm....it does look a bit like your description of untranslated strokes. I do have a dictionary loaded as I can check it for strokes and even add some of
my own briefs -- or at least I think I'm adding them.  I think the dictionary is main.json but not sure about that.  Maybe I'll just stick with  the paper tape.  😁

Ted Morin

Apr 6, 2021, 4:53:10 PM4/6/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lea,

I'd recommend using the latest version of Plover, which is still in development, version 4.

You can find the latest "weekly" build on this page: https://github.com/openstenoproject/plover/releases

If you are willing to register for an account on https://GitHub.com, there's an **even newer** version available at the bottom of the page here: https://github.com/openstenoproject/plover/actions/runs/720305134

Hopefully we will be releasing version 4 soon, as it has hundreds of improvements over version 3, including fixes related to keyboard layout handling.

All the best,
Ted

lea mar

Apr 6, 2021, 4:56:10 PM4/6/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com

Robert Fontaine

Apr 6, 2021, 5:02:14 PM4/6/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
@Ted

When I look at Releases I see

  morinted released this on Jul 2, 2018 at the top of the page.

It might be worthwhile update or deprecating this page.

--
Thank you,

Robert Fontaine
204 293 6253

Ted Morin

Apr 6, 2021, 5:03:31 PM4/6/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
That, unfortunately, is currently the latest "weekly" release 😛 we'll be updating it soon, and hopefully introducing a new "continuous" release that will update every time there's a code change.

lea mar

Apr 6, 2021, 5:07:34 PM4/6/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
That's what I'm seeing too -- dated 2018  ??

lea mar

Apr 6, 2021, 7:17:03 PM4/6/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Ted -- can you give me a specific link to version 4?  I don't see it.

Noelia

Apr 6, 2021, 11:56:31 PM4/6/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Ted Morin<mori...@gmail.com>
6 de abril de 2021, 23:03 wrote:
> we'll be updating it soon, and hopefully introducing a new "continuous" release that will update every time there's a code change.

This would be great! In the meantime, I'll download artifacts
generated from GitHub Actions.

I use this action to create a release named latest when I push to
master on some projects maintained by me:

https://github.com/marvinpinto/action-automatic-releases

Thanks for your work.