Resolution Test Using 532nm Laser and 405nm UV Laser Pointer

David haffner sr

Aug 28, 2016, 11:27:40 AM8/28/16
to plots-spectrometry

Resolution Test for The DH 4.0 v4 Spectrometer (Replaced Slit with new 0.09mm Gillette metal razor blade open-air design.)

Back in June of this year, Dave @Stoft helped me out considerably by explaining the principles of calculating resolution for spectrometers, especially the Plab 2.5 and 3.0, here is a quote from Mr.Stoft on this matter:

"Another, more practical, approach is to remember that the FWHM of a narrow signal (i.e. laser) being detected by a spectrometer also describes the resolution bandwidth. [This is where the resolution is worse than the actual bandwidth of the source (laser) which, in the case of simple devices like the webcams for PLab spectrometers, should be true.] I've not found a reputable measure of the BW of a pocket laser, but I suspect it is <<1nm. Assuming that is true, careful repeat measurements of the FWHM "smearing" of a pure laser source, by the PLab spectrometer, should validate calculated estimates".

I replaced the old JDEPC-ov04 webcam with the more recent modification from the same company, with the one you can purchase now from Plab store. The JDEPC-ov05 and removed its IR filter. I will be posting it's specifications here also, I preformed the same theoretical calculation for resolution below, with the new values of 0.09mm slit width and the same DVD grating of 2770 lines:

formula_cal_resolution.png

Please this is very important as it directly relates to the resolution factor of not only my spectrometer but any spectrometer, thanks

Dave H

David haffner sr

Aug 28, 2016, 11:28:28 AM8/28/16
to plots-spectrometry