Measuring Urban Forest Heavy Metals

Matthew Robin Daniel

Jul 10, 2017, 1:10:36 AM7/10/17
to plots-spectrometry
Hi there, terav...@gmail.com

Does anyone know if there is any research into using a spectrometer to measure Heavy metals in soil?

I spoke with the Victorian EPA here in Australia and they are interested in developing a Citizen Science program that measures thin in the Urban Forest due to the rapid increase in Urban Agriculture.

Gilbert Rochon

Jul 10, 2017, 4:14:35 PM7/10/17
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
Dear Matthew et al.: There are several methodologies available for measuring heavy metal content in soils, including:

Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry (AAS)
Inductively Coupled Plasma- Optical Emission Spectrometry (ICP-OES)
Xray Fluorescence (XRF). The University of Queensland Sustainable Minerals Institute, Australia National University, among other academic institutions in Australia, as well as  each have such equipment for which research testing potentially could be negotiated. I am unaware of an available affordable consumer test kit that can accurately and reliably test for specific heavy metals in soil. Developing partnerships with academic institutions may be the optimal solution.

Gilbert Rochon, Ph.D., MPH, Advocacy Manager
Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science (Public Lab)
The Warehouse
3014 Dauphine St., Suite T
New Orleans, LA 70017

--
Post to this group at plots-spectometry@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

Matthew Daniel

Jul 10, 2017, 11:08:57 PM7/10/17
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, Greg Austic

Dear Gilbert,

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply, it is greatly appreciated.

I will discuss this with Greg Austic and inform you of our progress in future.

  Kind regards

  Matthew R Daniel

  Director

PR TPA Logo linkdin version

   Telephone 0433 026 823

   22 Carr Street

   Coburg North, VIC 3058

   Australia

   www.treepreservationaustralia.com.au

facebook  linkedin  twitter  google_plus (1) Photosynq_Icon sourceable-logo-small-blackcorps-logo

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 12:10 AM, Matthew Robin Daniel <mat...@treepreservationaustralia.com.au> wrote:

Hi there, terav...@gmail.com

Does anyone know if there is any research into using a spectrometer to measure Heavy metals in soil?

I spoke with the Victorian EPA here in Australia and they are interested in developing a Citizen Science program that measures thin in the Urban Forest due to the rapid increase in Urban Agriculture.

--
Post to this group at plots-sp...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

Post to this group at plots-sp...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

Gilbert Rochon

Gilbert Rochon

Jul 11, 2017, 12:29:26 PM7/11/17
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, mat...@treepreservationaustralia.com.au, Greg Austic, terav...@gmail.com, Liz Barry, Jeffrey Warren, Stevie Lewis
Some references with respect to in-field testing of heavy metals in soil samples and a geo-statistical method are listed below. I have not utilized the field-based equipment and accordingly cannot attest as to their accuracy, as compared with laboratory-based testing, utilizing AAU, XRF or ICP-OES:

Spatial Distribution of Heavy Metals and the Environmental ... - MDPI

by F Santos-Francés - ‎2017 - ‎Related articles
May 26, 2017 - Public Health 2017, 14, 568; doi:10.3390/ijerph14060568 ... Toxic heavy metals present in soil, such as Cd, Cu, Pb, Zn, Ni, Cr, and ... analysis of principal components has been used in many fields to study soil, including pollution due .... acid in a microwave oven, with determination by ICP-MS model Elan.

Water, Air, and Soil Pollution

Volume 199, Issue 1–4pp 291–300 Rapid Test Methods for the Field Screening of Heavy Metals in Soil Samples.  https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11270-008-9878-6

https://www.envirotech-online.com/article/environmental-laboratory/7/oxford-instruments/detecting-heavy-metals-in-soil-using-field-portable-x-ray-fluorescence-esa-nummi/939  Feb 16 2011

Water Air Soil Pollut. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2015 Apr 6.
Published in final edited form as:
PMCID: PMC4386753
NIHMSID: NIHMS648305
Rapid screening of heavy metals and trace elements in environmental samples using portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometer, A comparative study

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Gilbert Rochon <gil...@publiclab.org> wrote:
[...]

Greg Austic

Jul 12, 2017, 9:37:56 AM7/12/17
to Gilbert Rochon, plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, Matthew Daniel, Dan Teravest, Liz Barry, Jeffrey Warren, Stevie Lewis
Yeah, x-ray's ain't very field portable :)  and ICP is quite inexpensive (35 metals for <$50/sample) so I don't think there's been a huge drive to find alternatives.  The Flint water crisis has probably spurred research into water-based lead and other heavy metals, but not not sure where that is it (I'm guessing PL folks are better informed on that work).

If one were to pursue a field-based method, we did find some likely possible solutions during my time at MSU.  This professor - https://www.egr.msu.edu/people/profile/alocilja , does some good work on detection of trace proteins, but actually the same technology could be applied to other specific compounds, maybe arsenic and lead.  It may be worth having a conversation with her about it.  The method is to create a magnetic molecule that bonds to the compound of interest (lead, arsenic, etc.) and when it does it loses it's magnetism.  Then you use a magnet to remove everything except the stuff that reacted.  Dissolve the remaining stuff in alcohol or water (can't remember) then you use cycle voltamettry (of which there is an open source board which can do that - http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0023783) to identify how much of the stuff is remaining in solution.

Alternatively, instead of magnetism being the way to separate the stuff you want from the stuff you don't, you can also use fluorescent compounds (stuff that reacts fluoresces, stuff that doesn't does not fluoresce).  That would be my preferred method, as the extraction component becomes unnecessary (simplifying the method) and fluorescence allows for large signal responses from low amounts of material (maybe ppm level or lower ? guessing but probably in that range).

So overall, my impression is a new method needs to be developed which is not at trivial effort, but I would say it's worth investigating.

Greg
--
Greg Austic

560 Little Lake dr Unit 10
Ann Arbor MI 48103

Gretchen Gehrke

Jul 12, 2017, 3:21:33 PM7/12/17
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, Gilbert Rochon, Matthew Daniel, Dan Teravest, Liz Barry, Jeffrey Warren, Stevie Lewis
Hi folks,

Soils are tricky to analyze because they are so complex and heterogeneous. The reason they are mostly analyzed in the lab is because in order to measure the analytes of interest (e.g. metals or organic contaminants) at concentrations lower than a few parts per million (ppm), you need to digest or leach the soil. For heavy metals, you usually use a strong acid digest (usually a mixture of hydrochloric acid and nitric acid), heated. Once the metals are all in acid solution, then they can be analyzed a number of ways at high resolution (easily parts per billion range). I think there are a lot of potential lower-cost options for soil analysis in the future, and the most important place to start is probably in a more accessible method for soil extraction/digestion.

An approach that doesn't require digestion is x-ray analysis -- either x-ray fluorescence (XRF) or x-ray diffraction (XRD). For XRF you would grind the soil into a powder (as homogenous as you could get it), and then expose it to x-rays to quantify the metals present, usually in the ppm-% range. For XRD, you would be able to identify the minerals present (not just elements), but it's only in the % range.

Best,
Gretchen

Matthew Daniel

Jul 12, 2017, 7:44:43 PM7/12/17
to Gretchen Gehrke, plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, Gilbert Rochon, Dan Teravest, Liz Barry, Jeffrey Warren, Stevie Lewis, Shannon Dosemagen, Greg Austic

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks for your post.  I totally agree soils are very complex and that is why I am working on https://photosynq.org/projects/tree-health-calculator-1-0

I am trying to develop a community engagement project at a global scale to develop a wide data set to help investigate the complexities of plant and soil health and function.

This topic about heavy metals came about due to a conversation I had with the Victorian EPA – Citizen Science manager. Apparently the EPA are interested in my project but to get involved they need data on “nasties” to appease their mandate.

I understand how difficult it sounds to simplify a measurement protocol for heavy metals but if it is possible to include in a broad assessment of plant and soil health with onsite tools it is likely projects could get off the ground.

Keen to watch this possibility evolve with the help of the exceptional expertise of those within Public Lab, Our-Sci and PhotosynQ.

Here is a link to a meeting I had yesterday with Shannan Dosemagen. You folks are a cool bunch 😊

https://photosynq.org/forums/tree-health-calculator-1-0/discussions/public-lab-executive-director-shannon-dosemagen-eco-city-2017-world-summit

  Kind regards

  Matthew R Daniel

  CEO

  Global Urban Forest Pty Ltd

  ABN : 92 619 054 456

  www.globalurbanforest.com.au

   Telephone 0433 026 823

   22 Carr Street

   Coburg North, VIC 3058

   Australia

facebook  linkedin  twitter  google_plus (1) Photosynq_Icon sourceable-logo-small-blackcorps-logo

sound cload signature  Youtube signature

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Gilbert Rochon <gil...@publiclab.org> wrote:

Some references with respect to in-field testing of heavy metals in soil samples and a geo-statistical method are listed below. I have not utilized the field-based equipment and accordingly cannot attest as to their accuracy, as compared with laboratory-based testing, utilizing AAU, XRF or ICP-OES:

Spatial Distribution of Heavy Metals and the Environmental ... - MDPI

--
Post to this group at
plots-sp...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Post to this group at plots-sp...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

Post to this group at plots-sp...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

Greg Austic

560 Little Lake dr Unit 10

Ann Arbor MI 48103

--
Post to this group at plots-sp...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

image001.jpg
image012.jpg
image002.png
image003.png
image004.png
image005.png
image006.png
image007.jpg
image008.png
image011.jpg

Matthew Daniel

Jul 12, 2017, 7:53:04 PM7/12/17
to Gretchen Gehrke, plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, Gilbert Rochon, Dan Teravest, Liz Barry, Jeffrey Warren, Stevie Lewis, Shannon Dosemagen, Greg Austic

Oh I just wanted to add something to the conversation.

Over the past 10 years I have been measuring soil

  1. Soil Physical properties
  2. Soil Chemistry (Total, available, exchangeable nutrient)
  3. Soil Biology ( Bac, Fungi, Prot, nem, mycorrhizae)

These assessments are great and tell a good story. Although, they are expensive and can easily change in urban environments within meters.

I am not moving away from these lab based assessments just want to collect as much data as possible to increase our understanding of Urban Forest health and function.

Measurables that can be collected onsite and by community groups allows for a much wider understanding.   I also hope it will make my industry of Arboriculture to recognize the below ground components of trees (Rootzone) (Soil health)  additionally it will make the industry more scientific as current practices and standards are based on human interpretation without measurables and are subjective.

Matt.

image020.jpg
image003.png
image004.png