Re: [plots-spectrometry] Modified Public Lab Spectrometer to measure UV-VIS - down to 270 nm?

Jeffrey Warren

Jul 25, 2016, 11:18:00 AM7/25/16
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
Hi, the webcams we use (and most webcams, in fact) can't detect light at much below 400nm, unfortunately. There is a type of CMOS sensor ("rear-illuminated") which may be able to, though the additional difficulty is that glass blocks uv below (i think, around) 350nm. So you'd have to use all reflective optics, and even the glass covering the sensor may be a problem.

I think this is a pretty challenging goal, but perhaps there are other types of image sensors out there we haven't come across?

Jeff

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Edwin Bickel <edwin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone have information on how to modify the current Public Lab Spectrometer so you can measuer UV down to 270 nm?

Looking at measuring water samples to detect what Dr. Pollack refers to as EZ Water:

"We look at that absorption of light at 270 nm.
The higher the absorption peak, the larger the amount of EZ water."

My interest is in being able to test samples for this EZ Water characteristic.
There may be many others that have the same interest.
Being able to test down to the 270 nm range may open the door for other important areas that can be tested as well.

Before anyone goes to dismiss EZ Water, please keep in mind:

All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Thank you for any help in coming up with a way that would be affordable to measure down to the 270 nm

Edwin Bickel

--
Post to this group at plots-sp...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

David haffner sr

Jul 25, 2016, 2:41:15 PM7/25/16
to plots-spectrometry, je...@publiclab.org
Hey Jeff, first thing is, anything below 350nm you use a Quartz cuvette which has a wavelength range of 220nm - 2200nm. Glass optics interfere by only an extremely small amount, and would only be a factor in Raman spectroscopy or NIR. The most important factor to remember is I do not think it wise to dabble below 350nm, below that UV range is UV (B) and UV (C) wavelengths...those are VERY dangerous! Also UV B,C will quickly destroy any sample in the cuvette, this type of spectroscopy requires very precise instrumentation and qualified technical expertise.

I have already researched this possibility and voted against attempting it, number one, the UV LED required to illuminate at that wavelength is a 308nm specially designed one, and the cheapest one was at Digitech for $151.00 US. (it is hermetically sealed) So even if you could find a cmos sensor that sensitive I am letting evryone here know that in my opinion it is very dangerous.

Dave H
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to plots-spectrometry+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

David haffner sr

Jul 25, 2016, 6:21:05 PM7/25/16
to plots-spectrometry, je...@publiclab.org
Also, I would like to point out that "Dr. Pollack" is very near begin a "quack" scientist, EZ-water is not a breakthrough. It is not new, nor is it valid. This appears to be one of the many claims about the healthful benefits of drinking "ionized water".

Here is a "respected" link, if you don't believe me, http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/5925/ez-water-fraud-or-breakthrough

David haffner sr

Jul 25, 2016, 6:27:31 PM7/25/16
to plots-spectrometry, je...@publiclab.org
This is for Mr.Edwin Bickel, I'm not really certain if you believe in this "EZ-water" non-sense, but it's merely just ionized water, and the science of it is nothing new or earth shattering, this is "pseudo-science at best, and when I see it, I will call it out, so I am posting a link for anyone to see that wants to get the real info on Dr.Pollack and his "EZ-water," I just think it a shame when people get duped by this kind of non-sense.

Dave H

[...]

Post to this group at plots-spectometry@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

Liz Barry

Jul 26, 2016, 9:45:18 AM7/26/16
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, Jeffrey Warren
Hi Dave and everybody,
I'd like to simultaneously thank you for sharing the link to Stack Exchange while firmly asking you to figure out how to keep the tone of your messages supportive towards other community members especially while sharing information that may contradict someone else's frame of reference.

To recap, please do share information that may contradict a claim, but please do not use a dismissive tone towards a person.

Thank you for your help!
Yours,
Liz

--

Liz Barry
director of urban environment

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 6:27 PM, David haffner sr <dhaff...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

David haffner sr

Jul 26, 2016, 9:58:57 AM7/26/16
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
hey Liz, this is more than just a "dismissive claim", there is absolutely NO science to back up this so called EZ water, it is pure psuedo-science and I experience this all over the internet and it is a shame how it spreads. It should be the inalienable right of any individual to rightly call out something they know to be fraudulent or it will continue to spread.

My tone was nothing of the sort offensive, and if it is perceived as such, then that is a choice the other person wishes to make. "Goofy" science should never, ever be tolerated because it makes no logical sense to do so and is most certainly a waste of everybody's time and resources.

Dave H

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

Liz Barry

Jul 27, 2016, 9:54:57 AM7/27/16
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, moder...@publiclab.org
Hi Dave,
Can you give me a call at +1 336-269-1539 or on skype hi.liz, or on another channel that you recommend? As one of the moderators on the list, i have to check in with you about keeping the tone of your messages supportive towards other community members especially while sharing information that may contradict someone else's frame of reference.
Thank you,
Liz