Amplify NIR

Chris Fastie

Jan 22, 2015, 12:33:00 PM1/22/15
to plots-i...@googlegroups.com, ritara...@gmail.com

Hi Rita,

The custom white balance procedure we always do with single-camera systems is intended to adjust the brightness of the NIR and VIS channels so that NDVI values are in the right range. Without a custom white balance the NDVI values are usually not even close. The white balance process was developed by trial and error and is not quantitative. We just point the camera at brightly colored paper when the custom white balance is done. For a red filtered Canon Powershot I point the camera a bright red origami paper in direct sunlight. This floods the sensor with red light and fools the camera into amplifying the blue channel (which is where the NIR is captured) relative to the red channel.

This research note has a figure with the ratio of NIR:VIS that produces NDVI values in the correct range for healthy plants.  I have never been able to modify a photo after the fact so it produces good NDVI values. If the white balance is not correct, the photo will not produce meaningful NDVI values. If raw photo data is captured instead of jpeg images, it should be possible but I have not done it.

Ned Horning has been working on a process to calibrate the NDVI images, which may be the only way to get consistently meaningful NDVI values.

Chris