Updates on your flood sensing ideas?

Stevie Lewis

Jun 21, 2016, 9:09:56 AM6/21/16
to plots-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi there!
Wanted to know if anyone has thought any further on the flood sensing conversation? Here's the wiki on a few ideas around it.

Scott, did you end up deploying that version you built out? love to hear more about it!
-Stevie

Dan Beavers

Jun 21, 2016, 9:03:27 PM6/21/16
to plots-g...@googlegroups.com
It seems that one of the problems is to see if the draining system is
working at the catch basin level. Perhaps a simple float switch in the
catch basin would be an appropriate answer. It could be set to turn on
when the water level is at flood level for that catch basin. A simple
twisted pair could be buried and run to a near by building of someone
that has sponsored the sensor. The sponsor would then have some cheap
processor that has at least a binary input and an internet connection.
The data would be collected at some central server and published. One
of the problems I see is dealing with reliability. A float switch is
susceptible to fouling so there may be some additional work to be done
on that aspect. Would this be a viable solution?

On 2016-06-21 08:09, Stevie Lewis wrote:
> Hi there!
> Wanted to know if anyone has thought any further on the flood sensing
> conversation? Here's the wiki
> <https://publiclab.org/wiki/depth-flood-sensing-in-new-orleans>on a few
> ideas around it.
>
> Scott, did you end up deploying that version you built out? love to hear
> more about it!
> -Stevie

Sierra Honeyisland

Jun 22, 2016, 11:31:17 AM6/22/16
to plots-g...@googlegroups.com

I would like to make flood sensors as a make & take at our September meeting.

What do you think?

What do I need to start saving to make them?

Thanks,
Diana Morgan

--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---

Stevie Lewis

Jun 22, 2016, 4:08:14 PM6/22/16
to plots-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan and Diana,

Dan, this idea sounds interesting, a bit different that ones we came up with at the event. I like that it goes towards one of the specific questions: "is the drainage system working." So if you didn't need to share out with others on it, you wouldn't even need a central server for it. Right? It's sort of like the one Rami scoped out here.

Diana, we're all working through ideas right now around the issues and what a tool might look like (see post). Love to hear ideas you have on it! Would be great to work through some of this with who ever is interested in September. Anyway, no kits on it at this point, all in the "thinking" stage.

-Stevie

Stevie Lewis

Jul 26, 2016, 11:50:08 AM7/26/16
to plots-g...@googlegroups.com
Following up on this thread. Did anyone see this post from the Advocate?

Thinking back on our ideas from the flood sensing event, what would a monitoring system for this project could look like? I bet there is something simple we could do to track this! Anyone have ideas??

-Stevie