Please review draft Code of Conduct YAY!

Liz Barry

Jul 7, 2016, 2:22:57 PM7/7/16
to ever...@publiclab.org
Hi everyone!

I am writing to share a project that grew out of the 2015 Barnraising. Over the past few months, many people have worked to expand the event's Code of Conduct to be something we can use throughout Public Lab. I am happy to share this draft document for review / suggest / comment that will become a guiding set of principals for the Public Lab community.

This research note narrates the full story and contains a link to the doc. The doc is "view only" by default, and we want to give you access to suggest and comment -- please just request by clicking the blue "view only" box --> "Request Access"!

Please take a look over this draft Code of Conduct, and add your comments or questions by July 15th. We'll be using it in the current form during the regional Val Verde Barnraising this weekend, but afterwards comments will be reviewed and incorporated and a final version released on July 20th.

I am hoping you can take a look and respond!

Thank you,
Liz

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Liz Barry

Jul 13, 2016, 1:45:08 PM7/13/16
to ever...@publiclab.org
Hey folks,
This doc went over well at the Regional Barnraising in Val Verde this weekend.
We are going to use the next week to incorporate any more comments aiming to arrive at a final version on July 20.

The document is designed to be linked to in event invites, and the first page physically printed at 8.5x11" or A1 for posting at events.

Please take a moment to read it over!

Thank you,
Liz

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
@publiclab

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Liz Barry

Jul 18, 2016, 10:22:06 AM7/18/16
to ever...@publiclab.org

Daniela Soleri

Jul 20, 2016, 2:39:28 PM7/20/16
to publiclab-la, ever...@publiclab.org, l...@publiclab.org
Hello Liz et al.,

It was great to meet you in Val Verde, and get a taste of Public Lab process!

I have looked over the code of conduct which looks fine to me--one thing to think about is the use of the word "uncomfortable." I know it is common parlance, but I believe it needs reconsideration because discomfort, as opposed to many other feelings, can actually be very very helpful. Americans of privilege have gravitated to comfort-above-all-else and it is causing problems, i think. Some vocabulary food for thought.

Best,
Daniela

Matthew Pendergraft

Jul 21, 2016, 8:26:51 AM7/21/16
to Daniela Soleri, publiclab-la, ever...@publiclab.org, Liz Barry
"Americans of privilege have gravitated to comfort-above-all-else and it is causing problems, i think." - Best thing I've read in a while.  I'll see if I can still put a similar notion I have in other terms, but this hits pretty square on the nail's head.
Hi Daniela.  Now I remember you. Nice meeting you the other weekend.
Greetings from San Diego.
-Matt

--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---

Shannon Dosemagen

Jul 21, 2016, 5:02:55 PM7/21/16
to Matthew Pendergraft, Daniela Soleri, publiclab-la, ever...@publiclab.org, Liz Barry
Hi Daniela and Matthew,

Thank you for your note about the word "uncomfortable"-- I reviewed this with Klie and Nick Shapiro who worked on drafting the Code of Conduct and our proposal to be reflective of this is that after "When a situation is uncomfortable, hurtful, exclusionary, or upsetting" we will point to a footnote that says, "we are using these terms in reference to the behaviors in the "don't" columns on pages 4 and 5".

We do note that there are places and settings where people are able to come out of their comfort zone in a way that doesn't reflect the "don't" behaviors on pages 4 and 5.

Shannon

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "public-lab-chicago" group.

@sdosemagen

Daniela Soleri

Jul 22, 2016, 1:25:09 AM7/22/16
to Shannon Dosemagen, Matthew Pendergraft, Daniela Soleri, publiclab-la, ever...@publiclab.org, Liz Barry

Thank you Shannon, I appreciate the thought you and others writing the code have put into that comment and recognizing it in the code. It is really terrific that you have an explicit code of conduct.

And yes, Hi Matt, it was great meeting you too!

Best wishes,

Daniela

Daniela Soleri, PhD
Associate Research Scientist