Recent DOI not found in API

Scitr

Jul 25, 2014, 3:38:10 PM7/25/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com

Martin Fenner

Jul 25, 2014, 3:45:58 PM7/25/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Can you give the DOI or DOIs that you were looking up in the ALM API?

Thanks, Martin

Am 25.07.2014 um 21:38 schrieb Scitr <scit...@gmail.com<mailto:scit...@gmail.com>>:

1. Get recent DOI from http://www.plosone.org/#recent
2. http://alm.plos.org/api/v3/articles?api_key={KEY}&amp;ids={DOI}&amp;info=summary&amp;type=doi
3. 404 Not Found

Scitr

Jul 25, 2014, 3:51:54 PM7/25/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
All the recent articles from plosone.org are not found in API.

  • 10.1371/journal.pone.0098462
  • 10.1371/journal.pone.0100823
  • 10.1371/journal.pone.0101271
  • 10.1371/journal.pone.0101274

Martin Fenner

Jul 25, 2014, 4:08:24 PM7/25/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
These articles were published today, about two hours ago. There is a small delay in importing the articles into alm.plos.org, and there is also a small delay in collecting metrics (usage stats will for example only be available one day after publication). What are you trying to do?

Best, Martin

Scitr

Jul 25, 2014, 4:50:25 PM7/25/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
I was getting the article title and publication date from the API when people add interesting new PLOS articles to Scitr.com. But if there's delay, I may have to scrape it from the web page.

It would be nice if the PLOS DOI resolver behaved like CrossRef's.

This outputs json metadata:
curl -H "Accept: application/json" "http://data.crossref.org/10.1073%2Fpnas.1411228111"

This doesn't:

Martin Fenner

Jul 25, 2014, 5:05:29 PM7/25/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
The ALM API is not the best place if you are interested in the article title and publication date of recently published articles. Why don’t you use the PLOS Search API, or the CrossRef API directly:

The CrossRef API has the information a bit later, but allows you to search across publishers

http://api.crossref.org/members/340/works?filter=from-pub-date:2014-07-23,until-pub-date:2014-07-25&rows=500

Both responses are in JSON. More info about the PLOS Search API is available here: http://blogs.plos.org/tech/advanced-search-api-capabilties/

And never scrape from a web page, that is why we have APIs.

Best, Martin

Scitr

Jul 25, 2014, 5:26:24 PM7/25/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the PLOS search API has the recent articles and should work. The replacement for that first ALM query I posted is:

http://api.plos.org/search?api_key={KEY}&q=id:{DOI}&fq=doc_type:full&fl=id,title_display,publication_date&rows=1&wt=json