Downloading content updated or new articles after a specified date

Saminda Pathirana

Dec 22, 2014, 5:45:34 AM12/22/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I want to download articles that are either new or got a content update from a specified date to now. What i'm currently using is the timestamp field. But this leads to a larger batch for even a weeks time-span. I saw that PlosOne site mentioning they update date for every view, cite, save, discuss or recommend. Is this the case for the large batches, if so anyway for me to tackle this?

Thanks in advance
Saminda

Martin Fenner

Dec 22, 2014, 5:51:57 AM12/22/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Samintha,

are you interested in content updates or new views, saves, discussions, etc. around an article? For the former you need to use the PLOS Search API, whereas the latter is stored in ALM. But since ALM are updated all the time (e.g. every 24 hours for article views), I am not sure what you want to accomplish using ALM data.

Best,

Martin

Saminda Pathirana

Dec 22, 2014, 5:57:29 AM12/22/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin

Thanks for the fast response. Yeah i'm only interested if the article is new or if the article got a content update. API that i use is http://api.plos.org/search/ and i query using timestamp field. Anything i'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Saminda
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to plos-api-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Martin Fenner

Dec 22, 2014, 6:04:12 AM12/22/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Samintha,

timestamp is the date the article was indexed, other dates in the API are publication_date, received_date and accepted_date. None of these date fields is doing exactly what you want. Unless someone else has a better solution, I suggest to use publication_date to get the new articles, and this also includes corrections (as they receive a different DOI from the original article).

Best,

Martin

Saminda Pathirana

Dec 22, 2014, 6:10:38 AM12/22/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin

So publication_date only get updated when a correction takes place and not for any content update?

Thanks
Saminda

Martin Fenner

Dec 22, 2014, 6:13:35 AM12/22/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Samintha,

it is more complicated than that and I don’t know all the details. The publication_date is not updated when a correction takes place, rather a new DOI for the correction is issued. The basic idea of DOIs is that the content associated with a DOI never changes, but there might be edge cases that I am not aware of.

Best,

Martin

Saminda Pathirana

Dec 22, 2014, 6:17:59 AM12/22/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info. I'll look into this Martin.

Thanks
Saminda

Saminda Pathirana

Dec 22, 2014, 6:19:11 AM12/22/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

If anyone know a different way to get this done do let me know

Thanks
Saminda

Saminda Pathirana

Dec 22, 2014, 6:46:20 AM12/22/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

One small detail, given that an article correction is issued, does that new article under the new DOI contains the DOI of its earlier version?

Thanks
Saminda

Martin Fenner

Dec 22, 2014, 6:52:25 AM12/22/14
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
No. This is a different DOI, you have to look at the metadata to see the relationship. PLOS uses CrossMark, not sure how to do this in the Solr API.

Best,

Martin