[Windows Build][Fail] - Error reading resource file

Khanou

Apr 9, 2013, 9:40:41 AM4/9/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to build the playscript mono without success...

I have the following errors

MCS     [net_4_5] EntityFramework.SqlServer.dll
error CS1566: Error reading resource file `../../../external/entityframework/src/EntityFramework.SqlServer/Resources/System/Data/                                                                                                                                              SqlClient/System.Data.Resources.SqlClient.SqlProviderServices.StoreSchemaDefinitionVersion3.ssdl'
error CS1566: Error reading resource file `../../../external/entityframework/src/EntityFramework.SqlServer/Resources/System/Data/                                                                                                                                              SqlClient/System.Data.Resources.SqlClient.SqlProviderServices.StoreSchemaDefinitionVersion3_Sql8.ssdl'
Compilation failed: 2 error(s), 0 warnings
../../build/library.make:252: recipe for target `../../class/lib/net_4_5/EntityFramework.SqlServer.dll' failed
make[8]: *** [../../class/lib/net_4_5/EntityFramework.SqlServer.dll] Error 1

Files exist and permissions look good. A colleague with same computer has the same error.

We have done:
  1. Install mono for windows
  2. Install cygwin and required packages
  3. Add the path for the mono bin i.e export PATH=$PATH:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mono-2.10.9\bin"
  4. ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local --enable-nls=no (we have both gettext installed but an error obliged us to add the enable-nls option to no)
  5. make => the error above

Any idea?

Thank you in advance
Yoann

IngweLand

Apr 9, 2013, 10:51:45 AM4/9/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
It took me a lot of time to build on Windows, basically, because i am not command line savvy person. However, it finally was built without errors. I can not write exact steps, because i tried different. But basically I was following different tutorials found on mono web site.
Something that i can mention:
1) Avoid this "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mono-2.10.9\bin". Install Mono to root, for example to C:/. When exporting to PATH try /cygdrive/c/ instead of "C:\" (search for correct syntax, just in case i make a  typo here)
2) Different tutorials mention that you should downgrade to make 3.80. However, it seems that this recommendation is no longer valid. Current version is 3.82 and it works
3) try running Cygwin terminal as administrator
Also, i used just ./autogen.sh --prefix=/my/directory/

Daniel Auclair

Apr 9, 2013, 12:33:37 PM4/9/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
I'm having the same issue and everything that IngweLand mentionned has been done. If you happen to find the source of the problem let me know. I'll do the same if I can get it to work.

Khanou

Apr 9, 2013, 3:51:00 PM4/9/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ingweland, Daniel

I test your three step but the probleme is still here.

@Ingweland did you install something special to fix the gettext problem, it's into my cygwin package.

@Daniel do you have also the warning with gettext, are you obliged to use the --enable-nls=no option when lunch the autogen.sh?

Thanks

IngweLand

Apr 9, 2013, 3:58:23 PM4/9/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
I had some similar error, where gettext was mentioned. But only at he beginning ( i really spent something like 6-8 hours trying different things). I am trying to recompile everything at the moment and will write the tutorial if i succeed. But it will take some time, as all these compilations takes time.

Daniel Auclair

Apr 9, 2013, 9:34:09 PM4/9/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
I haven't had the problem with the gettext on my side. My Cygwin installation wasn't done from scratch as I'm using it for a few other projects. This might has something to do with a package dependency or version of gettext. I don't have access to my computer at the moment so I can't tell what version I've got on my side. I'll check this out when I'll be able to.

Thank you!
Daniel

IngweLand

Apr 10, 2013, 7:37:33 AM4/10/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Here is my tutorials. I really can not promise that it will work in all cases. But, I was managed to compile without errors. Thus, I hope it will help at least for someone

Khanou

Apr 10, 2013, 10:46:56 AM4/10/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First, thanks for your tutorials! I follow your instructions but my issue is the same.

I have no more the error with gettext, but always the same with error on ssdl files. Do you have something special installed on you computer in relation with ssdl files?

IngweLand

Apr 10, 2013, 12:52:11 PM4/10/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I do know how to help with this issue.
Also, my procedure may not be absolutely correct. The thing is that for some reasons I can not use compiled binaries. Compilation and installation succeeded, however, I can not compile simple c# file with mcs compiler. And it seems that something is wrong in my tutorial. I also tried to compile normal Mono from source, succeeded, but again, was not able to use final binaries.

I wonder if Playscript authors tried to compile it on Windows. Maybe they can suggest something.

Ben Cooley

Apr 10, 2013, 8:58:03 PM4/10/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
That's a great writeup.  We'll try to get the windows binaries for the 0.1.2 version up on the main site soon.

IngweLand

Apr 10, 2013, 9:07:45 PM4/10/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
To tell the truth - I am starting to give up to make it working :)
At the one hand, i have managed to build it and even to use the compiler with c# code ( i  have to update some small things in my tutorial for this). At the other hand, i was not able to compile AS3 files. What is worth, i think it's really not that easy to set up any new Mono build for Xamarin Studio on Windows machine. Let's take the simplest solution - you just download mono installer from their website. And you will not be able to use it with Monodroid. At least - out of the box. I assume there is a need of modification of different paths etc. It's funny how easy it is on Mac and how hard it is on Windows.

BTW, i have found very detailed compiling tutorial, but of course, it's very old.