Basic Tutorial

Philip Harvey

Aug 5, 2013, 12:33:07 PM8/5/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Is there a good tutorial on how to get set up running Playscript on Windows? Or is the easiest way to get set up on the mac?

Thanks

Phil

Kevin Newman

Aug 5, 2013, 2:34:37 PM8/5/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
Everything is still up in the air so far as I know. I was able to follow the compile instructions, and ask some questions along the way on these forums to get up and running on Mac. These are the steps - they should work for any platform:

1. Checkout Playscript-Mono through git from github.
2. Compile it using the instructions on mono-project.org
3. Set Xamarin Studio (or build your own copy of MonoDevelop, and set it there) to use the mono framework you just compiled (you can also just replace the compiler exe in the bundled Mono version, but I found it cleaner to do it this way).
4. Checkout some of the AS3 playscript demos (like the Away3D demo).
5. Compile and test the demos!

You may also want to install the AS3 syntax highlight support for Xamarin Studio - the mpack is in the google group archives somewhere. I'm not sure how to compile a copy of that from source (anyone?).

Note: I haven't tried to test the demos lately, and have no idea if they are in sync, or are still compiling or not as they are today - but a couple of months ago they definitely worked!

That's not a tutorial, but hopefully it's enough to get started. Good luck!

Kevin N.

Ben Cooley

Aug 7, 2013, 12:45:18 AM8/7/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
It's certainly possible to use on Windows but that hasn't been our focus up till now, as we are focused on iOS development and that is really quite a bit easier on the Mac at this point.  We are laser focused right now on high performance support for Android and iOS GPU (stage 3D) based games and all of the details needed to make them easily work across all platforms with the best possible performance.

The big issue is that we have not spent any time building Windows implementations of the Stage3D and other base libraries, so compiling sample projects and running them on the desktop do not work yet.

We all like windows and most of us have Windows laptops in addition to our mac laptops.  But just not any time to work on the runtime for that platform.   If you know anyone who could contribute we would greatly appreciate it.

Ben Cooley

Aug 7, 2013, 12:47:05 AM8/7/13
to plays...@googlegroups.com
We found we broke the current Away3D demos with some of the latest work on the high perf dynamic AOT runtime.  We'll check to see what the problem is and patch it.