ActFramework 1.0 released - a replacement of Playframework 1.x

greenlaw110

Mar 9, 2017, 8:20:45 AM3/9/17
to playone
To those who loves playframework v1.x but not feeling good with Play2,

I've provided a better choice: ActFramework. And today I got the first version released to maven central repository.

Common features with PlayFramework v1.x

* The MVC architecture. Not component based
* Stateless/Share-nothing archtecture. The session implementation is borrowed from Play
* Hot reload on Dev mode
* Bytecode enhancement, which brings some nice features, e.g. the render(x, y, z) call automatically put the variable value into render argument linked to the variable name
* Controller action method parameter binding. Both support basic types and POJO, File etc
* Route configuration syntax
* Job support

What is different from PlayFramework v1.x

* No limits on controller method signature: `public static void`
* The app project is organized in standard maven structure, instead of a self-defined structure; also the module dependency is managed by maven
* Follow common standard, e.g. Dependency Injection, Bean Validation, i18n message bundle etc
* The built-in template engine is Rythm (http://rythmengine.org). Which brings clear syntax and better performance over Play's groovy template engine
* Support define route mapping via annotation (like Spring and Jersey)
* Support CLI
* Much simpler yet powerful Job support
* Support event dispatching
* Performance is overall better than play1

The official website (http://actframework.org) has detail information about features, documentation and video clips.

Enjoy!

Green

Hans Poo

Mar 10, 2017, 9:24:49 AM3/10/17
to playone
Green,

Hi, first of all, congratularions for your project, it's what we were expecting for years. In our company we still use play one for everything (actually 1.4.4). After the community break with the appereance of play 2, ie: the lack of  projection in play 1 we have been looking for a replacement, but none of the actual frameworks convinced us, but your framework yes, is really interesting.

Cheers,
Hans Poo

green

Mar 10, 2017, 2:54:47 PM3/10/17
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

Thanks for your message, very glad to see it!

Here are some links you might feel interested in:

TechEmpower testing bed:
- Act test is the among the only few ones provides all tests on all three data persistence supported: MongoDB, MySQL, Postgres. More than that, it is the only one reuse the constroller and model code to support three different datasources concurrently, thanks for the powerful and flexible to virtual action handler feature
- I am looking forward to seeing the result of round 14

A third party benchmark on HelloWorld scenario:
- It demonstrates Act's philosophy: Simple things should be simple (and very fast), complex things should be possible (and fast enough).

TodoBackend implementation:
- One of the most concise implementation (with barely 64 lines of code) and pass all todobackend spec tests.
- The only project uses fewer loc is python's webpy but there is no real database access in that project while Act's one support MongoDB

Act ZenContact
- A complete port of Play1's zencontact sample.

Although this is the first public release, I've put Act into real commerial projects since the end of 2015. There are four commerical projects built ontop of Act so far including one built by a team in China (not my company).

I have strong confidence on this framework coz I know it's value. And I am earger to see an Act community get developed and be prosperous.

Cheers,
Green

Dominik Dorn

Mar 10, 2017, 3:43:25 PM3/10/17
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Is there also support for async-code  - CompletionStage?
Akka ?  Websockets?

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/playone.

green

Mar 10, 2017, 3:45:16 PM3/10/17
to pla...@googlegroups.com
At the moment there is no async support.

Websocket is a planned feature, should be there very soon.

No plan for Akka, but I am happy if someone would like to contribute it as a plugin

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/playone.

green

Mar 10, 2017, 3:49:29 PM3/10/17
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Just FYI, the supporting channels are:

4. For people who speak Chinese, the QQ group: 283919975

Confirmed issue please submit to https://github.com/actframework/actframework/issues

Johan Vosloo

Mar 31, 2017, 4:27:42 AM3/31/17
to playone
Well done!

We are also still using Play 1.x (1.3 actually, because we get a terrible memory leak with 1.4.x which we still have to fully investigate).
While we love Play 1 and will continue to use it... it IS disconcerting to not have a community and involved committers behind it anymore.
Near impossible to google for Play 1 issues, etc.

So - we will have a look at Act with great anticipation!

Regards
Johan

green

Apr 18, 2017, 9:48:21 PM4/18/17
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Johan, how are you going with Act? Also @Hans Poo, how are you going? Do you guys have any progress on evaluating Act?

Just to let you guys know that the project is going very well. At the moment the latest version is 1.1.2. The release notes can be found at http://actframework.org/doc/release_notes

Hans Poo

Apr 26, 2017, 9:48:19 AM4/26/17
to playone
Green,

Still i've not I've not had time to work with act, but i've been watching your video with morphia/rest service and is really cool, as soon as i have time i'll look deeper in act.

Thanks
Hans