Play 1.5 is out

Johan Vosloo

Jan 12, 2018, 3:26:18 AM1/12/18
to playone
Hi guys

Play 1.5 is out!

Sadly, the Playframework documentation is not updated to reflect it yet, but here is what we found so far during our upgrade from 1.3.4: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/play-framework/iLq6oPqkheE

Your feedback welcome :)

green

Jan 12, 2018, 3:39:53 AM1/12/18
to pla...@googlegroups.com
Well done!

Play 1.x was best and my favorite framework once upon a time ...

Now I am happy to work on ActFramework (https://github.com/actframework/actframework), with most of the great things coming from play:

* bytecode enhancement (with ASM, instead of jassist)
* router (support both route table file and annotation and 10x faster than play)
* param binding (even flexible and much faster)
* db (same API for SQL/ebean and mongodb/morphia)
* hot reload on dev mode (more stable and faster)
* error page on dev mode (with more information)
* templating (rythm as default with better performance than groovy)

And the performance of ActFramework is shining:
image.png

Cheers,
A real Play1 lover

Hans Poo

Jan 16, 2018, 5:28:14 AM1/16/18
to playone
Hi Johan,

One other gotcha is that due to the move to Hikary the postgresql jdbc driver present in the framework don't work, and must be upgraded, in our case we did it in new projects like this in dependencies.yml:

    - org.postgresql -> postgresql 42.1.4:
        force: true

Bye,
Hans