Hello, im new.

k.fuh...@googlemail.com

Jun 18, 2017, 5:32:55 PM6/18/17
to PlayN
Hey guys,

I just heared about PlayN and try to collect some informations.
I never worked with any libraries or frameworks etc, just used the standard components.

How does playN works? I cant imagine how i can create a project for it and publish the results on the google playstore and Apple appstore.
Maybe im thinking in the wrong direction :P

Could anybody explain how playN works?
Do i use it within Android Studio?
Do i need to use the button controls etc?
Or do i have to create buttons etc with playN programatically?

I really find alot of stuff about andengine etc, but playN seems to be very new :/

Brigt Vik

Jun 19, 2017, 12:20:43 PM6/19/17
to PlayN, k.fuh...@googlemail.com
I think I got confused by some of your questions, but here's as well as I can manage to answer them.

PlayN is indeed meant to provide a way to publish your projects to Google Play and Apple's App Store. Also, your game can be run as HTML5 or a Java application, if that carries any value for you.

PlayN is a framework for running an update loop, applying user input and painting the current state of the simulation to the screen, providing a subset of functionality that is supported on each of the target platforms. You are sent update ticks where you program whatever changes need to happen in your game independent of user input, while input events (primarily touch input by the user on mobile devices) are sent for you to interpret. During input and update you manipulate which layers of graphics should go where on the screen, and the framework performs the painting and displays it for you.

In my ignorance I don't believe you can use Android Studio with PlayN, guessing that it would be too Android centric? But maybe it would work, I don't know. Personally I use IDEA as my IDE, and others have mentioned NetBeans and Eclipse.

I don't know what you mean do you need to use the button controls etc. Are you talking about the UI elements that are provided in Android Studio, perhaps? Those are not a part of PlayN. You need to make code and graphics to display your buttons and interpret the touch events, so yes, what you mean by creating them programmatically I think. There are some UI elements you perhaps can make use of in Tripleplay.

PlayN is not new in itself, but it may be new for you :).