[Play 2.4 Java] sbt-release not auto-incrementing build number

Matt Daniels

Jul 28, 2015, 2:57:08 PM7/28/15
to play-framework
Hi all. Not sure if this question belongs here or not but I'll give it a go.

I've created a seed play java app (https://github.com/mattdaniels/play-java-base). The intention was to use sbt-release to provide an auto-incrementing build number.

I launch sbt-release using the command:

activator "release with-defaults"

It worked the first time, and labelled the release correctly, but any subsequent changes throw an error:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Tag [v1.0] already exists. Aborting release!

I'm probably doing something very obviously wrong but can't see what. Any ideas?

p...@semlab.nl

Jul 29, 2015, 4:07:47 AM7/29/15
to play-framework, ma...@techtoniq.com
Your problem is that you have a version defined in your build.sbt. Remove the version line from that file and things should work.

The version line in the build file is taking precedence over the one in the version file.

Matt Daniels

Jul 30, 2015, 1:08:47 AM7/30/15
to play-framework, p...@semlab.nl
That's fixed it, obvious really! Thankyou.