Must I run away from Ebean with Play Framework?

Marcelo Vega

Feb 20, 2017, 4:14:53 PM2/20/17
to Play Framework

Hi

I saw in the application.conf for the play-java template than JPA is the preferred option over Ebean. Since that, I've reading tons of comments about Ebean and I feel more confused.

As far as I understood, Ebean is still being updated, but the sbt-play-ebean is the part than goes slower, so it keeps many of bugs.

Is the support of sbt-play-ebean be maintained or are there any plan to rid off it from the Play Framework?

Thibault Meyer

Feb 20, 2017, 4:24:01 PM2/20/17
to Play Framework
Hi,

You can try this current fork payintech/play-ebean. It was update with the last version of Ebean. It currently only work with Play 2.5 but Play 2.6 compatibility is in the roadmap.

Greg Methvin

Feb 20, 2017, 5:17:17 PM2/20/17
to play-framework
There are no plans to discontinue support for play-ebean. If you find bugs please report them on the project: https://github.com/playframework/play-ebean/issues. You can also ask questions here on the mailing list.

Greg Methvin
Tech Lead - Play Framework

Koen De Groote

Feb 22, 2017, 3:49:58 AM2/22/17
to Play Framework
Hello, everyone.

I think the "going slow" part is the main concern of Marcelo's message, right?

I saw there was a branch recently merged into master that updates ebean to version 10: https://github.com/playframework/play-ebean/pull/109/files
So that's good.
It would probably be good to know when this is intended to be made into a release.

Is this going to be available before 2.6 comes out or are those releases going to be happening at the same time?

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 11:17:17 PM UTC+1, Greg Methvin wrote:
On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Marcelo Vega <mav...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

I saw in the application.conf for the play-java template than JPA is the preferred option over Ebean. Since that, I've reading tons of comments about Ebean and I feel more confused.

As far as I understood, Ebean is still being updated, but the sbt-play-ebean is the part than goes slower, so it keeps many of bugs.

Is the support of sbt-play-ebean be maintained or are there any plan to rid off it from the Play Framework?

Marcelo Vega

Feb 22, 2017, 11:17:05 AM2/22/17
to Play Framework

Also because I've read comments like "the code is ok, but the problem is Ebean, because Play is moving away from Ebean". But if Play is not going to discountinue the support, I'll keep using Ebean :)

Thanks

Thibault Meyer

Feb 22, 2017, 11:57:01 AM2/22/17
to Play Framework
Even if Play drop support of play-ebean module. PayinTech have forked since many months to always have the last version of Ebean ORM and added many functionalities like document store and Ebean cluster.

Greg Methvin

Feb 22, 2017, 7:37:23 PM2/22/17
to play-framework
It is true that a while back the Play team was considering moving away from Ebean, because the project seemed to be inactive. See the discussion on the issue here: https://github.com/playframework/playframework/issues/1518. After getting a lot of feedback from the community, we decided to just split off Ebean support into a separate module (play-ebean) and continue maintaining it.

We still support play-ebean and will keep accepting pull requests from the community, but we're not actively planning to implement new features there. Ideally we'd like to have a full-time community maintainer to step in, in the same way Cedric has for anorm, but for now we'll keep making releases and try to keep the ebean version updated and provide critical bug fixes when necessary.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/play-framework/5450094c-1ccd-4b31-94ad-e270657e2842%40googlegroups.com.