"Host not allowed" and nginx

Andrzej Cybulski

Mar 9, 2018, 5:08:17 AM3/9/18
to Play Framework
Hi,
I know the question might not be really about play, but issue happens around it. Maybe someone could explain why it happens.

Anyway, I've noticed in my logs messages like "Host not allowed: <random domain>". Turns out random domain points to my server. But I don't understand why request with such host is being passed to nginx. I cannot reproduce getting such message on my own. What happens when I open such url on my own, nginx chooses default configuration for ip. My browser gets response 301 with location of real and acceptable url to my application and I am correctly redirected to it and it works as planned. I don't understand how somebody manages to get to my application with this "wrong" domain. Maybe someone has an idea why it might be happening?

Andrzej