[2.0.4-Java] Cannot set important BoneCP parameter in configuration = problems

Laurent Marchal

Sep 6, 2012, 3:01:52 PM9/6/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Following a previous post with my issues with BoneCP, I still have problems with this connection pool eating up all available DB connections in heroku dev plan (20).

It looks like there's a bug in BoneCP, and a way to get around it would be to set the releaseHelperThreads parameter to 0 (defaults to 3) but Play doesn't allow the configuration of this parameter regarding to this file DB.scala

Could you allow this parameter in the configuration ?

Also BoneCP seems very buggy: a simple configuration that limits max connections to 10 has no effects and still will use more connections than the DB allows and will results in "Failed to acquire connection" errors.

Here's my config

db.default.driver=org.h2.Driver

db.default.url="jdbc:h2:mem:database.db"

db.default.jndiName=DefaultDS

db.default.logStatements=true

db.default.partitionCount=1

db.default.maxConnectionsPerPartition=10

db.default.minConnectionsPerPartition=2

db.default.acquireIncrement=1

db.default.acquireRetryAttempts=3

db.default.acquireRetryDelay=5 seconds

db.default.connectionTimeout=20 seconds

db.default.idleMaxAge=5 minutes

# Disable keeping the connection active

db.default.idleConnectionTestPeriod=0

db.default.maxConnectionAge=15 minutes

db.default.initSQL="SELECT 1"

# Disable helper threads

db.default.releaseHelperThreads=0

Here's the heroku pg:info showing clearly a use of more than 10 connections :

=== HEROKU_POSTGRESQL_BROWN (DATABASE_URL)

Plan:        Dev

Connections: 20

PG Version:  9.1.5

Created:     2012-08-01 21:51 UTC

Data Size:   6.6 MB

Tables:      6

Rows:        0/10000 (In compliance)

Fork/Follow: Unavailable

scott clasen

Sep 6, 2012, 3:04:01 PM9/6/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Are you running just a single dyno or more than one?

Laurent Marchal

Sep 6, 2012, 3:05:53 PM9/6/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Yes just a single Dyno.