Play 2.6.7 - Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at during startup

Lars Arnbak

Nov 10, 2017, 12:09:26 PM11/10/17
to Play Framework
Hi,

I just updated a couple of projects of mine, to play 2.6.7.
Now I'm seeing "Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at tcp://ip:2376. Is the docker daemon running?" in the startup log, and the startup takes longer than normal.
Going back to 2.6.6 - and everything is back to normal.

I'm not running docker on my local machine, which is likely the reason it logs this.

But what has suddenly changed, so that it tries to connect to docker on a normal sbt  or sbt run?

It seems that the spotify docker-client, is bumped from 3.5.x to 8.9.0 - is that the reason?

Best regards
Lars

Tim Moore

Nov 12, 2017, 6:06:42 PM11/12/17
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lars,

This message is caused by sbt-native-packager, which the Play sbt plugin depends on. In Play 2.6.7, sbt-native-packager was updated to version 1.3.1, which contains a small bug that results in that message when sbt starts up, if you have Docker installed but not running (#1058).

This was fixed in sbt-native-packager 1.3.2, and Play 2.6.8 will depend on that version when it is released. In the meantime, there are three options for working around it:
  1. Add dockerVersion := None to your build.sbt file.

    This works around the problem by setting an explicit value for the dockerVersion setting and skipping the code for the default value, which is what triggers the message.

  2. Update to sbt-native-packager 1.3.2 in your own project by adding this to project/plugins.sbt: addSbtPlugin("com.typesafe.sbt" % "sbt-native-packager" % "1.3.2")

    (Note that you should remove this again the next time you update Play)

  3. Do nothing, and ignore the message. It is harmless :)

Best,
Tim Moore

Tim Moore
Senior Engineer, Lagom, Lightbend, Inc.