Introducing prismic.io, a new way to manage content in your Play applications

Guillaume Bort

Oct 3, 2013, 8:06:23 AM10/3/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Yesterday we launched prismic.io (https://prismic.io), a brand new way of managing content, brought to you by the same people who initiated the Play framework project.

You can read more about the concept and the product on our first blog post, at https://blog.prismic.io/UimoJ8uvzYwM4miB/introducing-prismicio

As might expect, we already released several development kit, starter projects and example for Play applications developers, whether they are using Java or Scala,

You can check our developers portal for both technologies:

We also have both versions of our main "Les Bonnes Choses" example (you can browse the live version at http://lesbonneschoses.prismic.me).

Of course, we have built the whole platform using the Play framework :) We will post more article to share with you more in-depth details about the architecture.

Hope to see cool projects using both Play and prismic.io :)

++

Bing Ran

Oct 3, 2013, 11:01:59 AM10/3/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
looks very cool!

Josh Padnick

Oct 3, 2013, 6:37:22 PM10/3/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I like the concept!  It took me a few minutes to really understand what problem you were trying to solve, and I think you guys identified an important need.

Actually, I've been looking for a solution to add built-in documentation to our web app and was frustrated at the lack of solutions out there.  The main issue is that I wanted a solution that would give our developers the ability to instantly edit content, while making the content tightly integrated in our app and manageable by a larger team as we scale.  The solution I'd been toying with was hosting our own gollum repository (https://github.com/gollum/gollum), but managing authentication was cumbersome and I didn't love the idea of having to run my own gollum instance.

I can see us using prismic  as a solution, and I love the flexibility when it comes to consuming content.  We would probably setup a separate domain, come up with a minimalist visual design and probably use javascript to consume the content.  Then our dev's can write content or if our non-technical team wants to, we could grant them logins.  I also really like the UI.

In the spirit of software projects, I'll feel free to suggest features :) I think at the enterprise level you care a lot about authentication.  It would be great if we could use Google Apps to authenticate users and decide which users get access (particularly since your pricing model limits users).  Even without that feature, though, I'd like to begin trying this out as soon as it's available.

You guys have done a nice job with this; congrats on the innovative thinking!

Josh

Guillaume Bort

Oct 4, 2013, 3:02:27 AM10/4/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Josh,

I guess you understood pretty well the idea :)

Have you applied for a beta invite yet? They are rolling out quickly.

Josh Padnick

Oct 4, 2013, 3:50:11 PM10/4/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Applied with my work email, but I post here with my personal email.  Haven't received the invite yet.

Guillaume Bort

Oct 6, 2013, 11:09:00 AM10/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

You should have received one now.

Tony V

Oct 6, 2013, 2:16:13 PM10/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Somehow i feel something is missing here, if I may take Josh's use case here as an example:

1) dev team member Dave writes a wiki page, shares it with non-dev Norman
2) Norman has a question about it, sends an email to Dave(because he had no better way to do it),
3) Dave makes changes to page and publish it.
4) Norman isn't satisfied with the changes, Dave invites Norman,
5) Norman quickly learns about the interface, finds the document, make the changes and publishes it.

See how cumbersome that is? Norman ends up joining the team while he apparently should not have, just because he couldn't comment on, much less edit the page. But why can't he fork(on-page edit) the page and send back a pull request which Norman will review and merge?
And that is what I think is missing here, communication and interaction outside of Prismic. But maybe I'm asking too much for a project that just started, I'm sure you guys would solved that given time.

Anyway, nice concept, hot UI, invitation applied.

Regards,
Antonio

LiuTiger

Oct 7, 2013, 7:51:14 AM10/7/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Very Nice~!

Thanks!
Tiger

Jason Pearson

Oct 7, 2013, 8:02:33 AM10/7/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Signed up, waiting for the invite ^_^

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM, LiuTiger <lsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Very Nice~!

Thanks!
Tiger

Guillaume Bort

Oct 7, 2013, 8:59:48 AM10/7/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Sent Jason.

Jason Pearson

Oct 7, 2013, 9:16:14 AM10/7/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Looking sweet!! Nice job

LiuTiger

Oct 10, 2013, 8:37:53 AM10/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks prismic teams!
I download the "scala-play-starter"(https://github.com/prismicio/scala-play-starter), unzip and play run the example,
but report "io.prismic#scala-kit_2.10;1.0-M3: not found".

The scala-kit latest veresion is 1.0-M3? Why I can't down the file? Who can help me solve this problem? Thanks!

Best Regards!
Tiger

Guillaume Bort

Oct 10, 2013, 9:33:26 AM10/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

Sejensen

Oct 10, 2013, 2:24:52 PM10/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Great idea!

Thats actually one of the painpoints of delivering great web solutions. Either you embed a cms, hardcode content or integrate with a standalone cms that requires maintenence.

Do you have datacenters here in europe? We moved from Amazon in US to Linode in UK, due to latency.

Hope that prismic will be a huge success!

I have also requested an invite.

Thanks
Steffen

Guillaume Bort

Oct 10, 2013, 2:34:40 PM10/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sejensen,

You should have received your invitation now.

Our datacenter are currently in east US, and in the future we will probably extend to another places in the world. But the latency is less an issue than it seems with the prismic.io API. We have very good API properties that makes that 99% of the API calls will be cacheable forever on your side. There is a first article from Sadek that starts explaining why: https://blog.prismic.io/UlMRYknM0-kFs5Cy/how-prismicio-api-scales

LiuTiger

Oct 10, 2013, 10:31:31 PM10/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
That problem is because of I in the GFW of china, Can you publish the jar into maven repos?

在 2013年10月10日星期四UTC+8下午9时33分26秒,Guillaume Bort写道:

Guillaume Bort

Oct 11, 2013, 6:35:23 AM10/11/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:31 AM, LiuTiger <lsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
That problem is because of I in the GFW of china, Can you publish the jar into maven repos?

We will, in the mean time you can build it locally. Just checkout the git repo and use `mvn install`