Play Framework Concurrent Requests handling

Vishwa Bhat

Apr 25, 2017, 6:47:36 AM4/25/17
to Play Framework
Hi,

I am performing load test on my application, Play Framework v2.5.x - Java with MongoDB as the database running on AWS t2.small. I'm also using mix of Completable Futures & Actors to make API calls non blocking. When I perform load test on my application, concurrency level does not go beyond 1000 and avg response time comes around 5-6 secs whereas if I run one request call, it would run within ~700ms. I would like to know what is the approx value which a Play Application can reach in handling concurrent requests.

Regards,
Vishwa

Igmar Palsenberg

Apr 26, 2017, 2:44:36 AM4/26/17
to Play Framework

I am performing load test on my application, Play Framework v2.5.x - Java with MongoDB as the database running on AWS t2.small. I'm also using mix of Completable Futures & Actors to make API calls non blocking. When I perform load test on my application, concurrency level does not go beyond 1000 and avg response time comes around 5-6 secs whereas if I run one request call, it would run within ~700ms. I would like to know what is the approx value which a Play Application can reach in handling concurrent requests.

That fully depends on your code. Since a t2.small is a single core, CPU bound instance type (which will be penalised after running for a while) , the above looks pretty OK to me : Response times go up after the instance reached 70% CPU usage.

Igmar

Will Sargent

Apr 26, 2017, 8:29:26 AM4/26/17
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
After 70% utilization, you start seeing the spread between latency and response time:

Will Sargent
Engineer, Lightbend, Inc.

Vishwa Bhat

Apr 27, 2017, 1:29:13 AM4/27/17