Play 2.6.0-M5 released

Greg Methvin

Apr 26, 2017, 11:43:19 PM4/26/17
to play-framework
Hi everyone,

We've just released Play 2.6.0-M5. This contains almost all of the API changes you will see in Play 2.6.0. We plan to release 2.5.0-RC1 in two weeks.

A major change of note in the Scala API is that the BaseController trait contains an abstract ControllerComponents. This way, it can be used in controller mixins to easily access all the standard controller components. There is also an InjectedController trait that gets its dependencies via method injection. See the examples here: https://www.playframework.com/documentation/2.6.x/Migration26#Scala-Controller-changes

You can see all the changes in this milestone here: https://github.com/playframework/playframework/compare/2.6.0-M4...2.6.0-M5/

Cheers,
Greg

--
Greg Methvin
Tech Lead - Play Framework

David

Apr 27, 2017, 3:38:13 AM4/27/17
to Play Framework
Hello,

Just upgraded my application from Scala Play application from 2.6.0-M4 to 2.6.0-M5.  Everything seems to work fine but I get the following warning:

[warn] p.a.m.DefaultJWTCookieDataCodec - decode: could not decode JWT: JWT signature does not match locally computed signature. JWT validity cannot be asserted and should not be trusted.
io.jsonwebtoken.SignatureException: JWT signature does not match locally computed signature. JWT validity cannot be asserted and should not be trusted.
at io.jsonwebtoken.impl.DefaultJwtParser.parse(DefaultJwtParser.java:354)
at io.jsonwebtoken.impl.DefaultJwtParser.parse(DefaultJwtParser.java:481)
at io.jsonwebtoken.impl.DefaultJwtParser.parseClaimsJws(DefaultJwtParser.java:541)
at play.api.mvc.JWTCookieDataCodec$JWTFormatter.parse(Cookie.scala:652)
at play.api.mvc.JWTCookieDataCodec.decode(Cookie.scala:577)
at play.api.mvc.JWTCookieDataCodec.decode$(Cookie.scala:569)
at play.api.mvc.DefaultJWTCookieDataCodec.decode(Cookie.scala:742)
at play.api.mvc.FallbackCookieDataCodec.decode(Cookie.scala:728)
at play.api.mvc.FallbackCookieDataCodec.decode$(Cookie.scala:719)
at play.api.mvc.DefaultSessionCookieBaker.decode(Session.scala:95)

Could someone explain what this relates to?

Thanks,

David

Will Sargent

Apr 27, 2017, 8:51:59 PM4/27/17
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
That's a JWT cookie that has a signature that does not match up, probably because the application secret has changed.   This often happens if you switch versions but don't close down the browser (so it still has the old cookie):

Underlying code is here:

--
Will Sargent
Engineer, Lightbend, Inc.

Marco F

Apr 28, 2017, 4:35:50 AM4/28/17
to Play Framework
Hi and thanks for your work on Play.

I've been upgrading a little collection of different restful frameworks in Scala. It's really just a toy project, nothing to be take too seriously.

Just today I migrated the Play version to 2.6.0-M4 (will migrate to M5 right away).

I wanted to know if what I've done is precisely what needs to be done moving from 2.5 to 2.6.

Here's the little commit: https://goo.gl/eIjkt9

Thanks!

-Marco

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 5:43:19 AM UTC+2, Greg Methvin wrote:
Message has been deleted

Marco F

Apr 28, 2017, 6:40:18 AM4/28/17
to Play Framework

R.M.

Apr 28, 2017, 10:01:44 AM4/28/17
to Play Framework

Jeff White

May 3, 2017, 5:46:01 PM5/3/17
to Play Framework
Congrats! Can you confirm that HTTP/2 support is included in this milestone? Are there any docs on proactively using HTTP/2 features, e.g. server push?

jeff

R.M.

May 3, 2017, 7:38:00 PM5/3/17
to Play Framework
HTTP/2 is planned for version 3.0 of Play Framework.  See here for more info:  https://github.com/playframework/playframework/issues/5817

R.M.

May 3, 2017, 7:49:13 PM5/3/17
to Play Framework
Please disregard my last message.  HTTP/2 support has the 2.6.0 milestone, not 3.0.0.

Jeff White

May 3, 2017, 8:51:19 PM5/3/17
to Play Framework
Which milestone? The announcement for 2.6.0-M1 said HTTP/2 support would come in a future milestone. Also, it's not checked off in the road map

jeff

Denis Kalinin

May 14, 2017, 11:23:48 AM5/14/17
to Play Framework
Hi!

The "Play WS Migration guide" says that Play WS is now a standalone project and shows that it can be added to build.sbt:

libraryDependencies += "com.typesafe.play" %% "play-ahc-ws-standalone" % "1.0.0"

However, the app still needs the AhcWSComponents and WSClient traits and they are still in the ws module.
Also, Play JSON is available without adding "play-json" to build.sbt.

So it looks like all these standalone projects are really for people who want to use them outside Play, and everyone else should continue using the "ws" module, am I right?

Thanks,
Denis

Will Sargent

May 15, 2017, 10:59:59 AM5/15/17
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
That's correct.  The WS module contains Play specific classes such as Multipart that allow for a smoother integration.

--
Will Sargent
Engineer, Lightbend, Inc.

dres

May 17, 2017, 4:41:55 PM5/17/17
to Play Framework
Along those lines, is it possible to use play-ws-standalone along with play-2.5?  I need response caching and can't use play-2.6 with lagom yet.

Will Sargent

May 17, 2017, 5:18:45 PM5/17/17
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I don't see why you couldn't use the standalone with Play 2.5.x, but I haven't tested it.  Try it and let me know how it goes. :-)

--
Will Sargent
Engineer, Lightbend, Inc.

Kevin Esler

May 23, 2017, 2:44:52 AM5/23/17
to Play Framework
Any estimate on when 2.6.0-M6 might be available? Looking forward to the fix for https://github.com/playframework/playframework/pull/7302

Kevin Esler

May 23, 2017, 7:47:31 PM5/23/17
to Play Framework
Never mind. I see that 2.6.0-RC1 is out. Thanks Play team.