Introducing discuss.playframework.com

marcos....@lightbend.com

Mar 13, 2018, 12:02:56 PM3/13/18
to Play Framework

Dear Play community,

We are pleased to announce a new way to communicate with Play community: https://discuss.playframework.com/.

It is a Discourse forum sponsored and hosted by Lightbend. As many of you probably already know, Lightbend sponsors Akka, Play, and Lagom development and it is now helping us to integrate the communities. https://discuss.playframework is co-hosted under the discuss.lightbend.com domain, along with discuss.lagomframework.com and discuss.akka.io. Each of these domains redirects you to the main category for the corresponding project, so you can go directly to the Play discussions by using the discuss.playframework.com shortcut, without having to navigate through the entire list of all categories.

This is another step to have better integration between Akka, Play and Lagom. Over the last couple years, we work with Akka team to move from Iteratees to Akka Streams and using Akka HTTP as the default server backend. On top of that, we've had Akka actor support for a long time.

On another front, Play is one of the core technologies used to create Lagom Framework, and it inspired the developer experience you see when using Lagom.

We think it is now time also to have a place where Akka, Play, and Lagom community can learn from each other. These projects are very closely related and the forum makes it easier to have discussions which span the projects. For example, it will be easier to discuss issues about streaming, because we can tag a topic as relating to both Play and Akka Streams, bringing together experts from both communities. Of course, you can still focus a discussion on just Play if you want.

Some questions you may have:

1. What happens to the mailing list?

The mailing list will be transitioned into a read-only mode. It will not happen immediately, but we’ll try to direct all new questions to the new forum, and eventually flip the switch to mark play-framework as a read-only archive.

We took this decision after much thought, debate and considering the upsides and downsides of handling it very seriously. We know that a lot of people like mailing lists (including us). If you enjoy them, and would like to continue to do so with the new forums, please have a look at the hints in the Discuss Meta topics. We also had prepared suggestions on how to set up the notifications to work as-if a mailing list.

2. What happens to Gitter channels?

The Play Gitter room and Play contributors Gitter room will remain as real-time chat channels, but we suggest posting questions in discuss.playframework.com if you don’t get a quick response. With the Play community and maintainer team distributed around the world, not everyone can take part in a conversation on Gitter at the same time. Also, with Gitter’s linear and conversational format, it can be hard to keep track of concurrent discussions, and it’s easy to miss messages. The new forum will make it much easier to keep track of the conversations you are interested in and ignore the ones you aren’t.

3. What other community channels are there?

  1. Stack Overflow is still a great place to ask specific programming questions about Play, especially when they also relate to other technologies that are not part of discuss.lightbend.com. Stack Overflow has a huge community, and the Play maintainer team continues to monitor the “playframework” (and version specific tags like "playframework-2.6") tag on it. However, Stack Overflow has a strict Q&A format and rules about what is considered on-topic. It is not suitable for opinion-based questions, announcements, or open-ended discussion.

  2. Of course, GitHub is the center for collaboration on the development of Play itself, and the issue tracker is the best place to report reproducible bugs and propose new features. If you’re having a problem and you’re not sure if it’s caused by a bug in Play, please ask for help on discuss.playframework.com before creating an issue on GitHub.

4. What if I want urgent 24/7 support?

Nothing changes in this aspect. The public communication channels were always best-effort, although we and the community try to help as much as possible. If you really want the best-in-class, most responsive answers, and support, the Lightbend Subscription offers professional development and production support, along with access to consulting services, training, the Lightbend Enterprise Suite of commercial software, and other benefits.

It is important to highlight that the move to the “discuss” forum (as we like to call it) is not the same as commercial support. However, we do hope to serve our communities better by making this move. We do not envision any negative impact on the quality of the answers you have been receiving on Gitter and play-framework by this move to the new forums.

Finally, we hope you’re as excited about the new discussion forums as we are. We look forward to you joining us there!

Miguel Ángel Moreno

Mar 13, 2018, 4:06:46 PM3/13/18
to Play Framework [deprecated]
I know people will not like an empty message as this one but...

THANK YOU, IT IS AWESOME <3

Miguel

Dominik Dorn

Mar 14, 2018, 6:19:26 AM3/14/18
to play-framework
The default popup size (for signing up with Github) is too small to see the "Authorize" button..

Is the platform open source? Where can I send a pull request?

Dominik Dorn
http://dominikdorn.com
http://twitter.com/domdorn

Skripten, Mitschriften, Lernunterlagen, etc. findest Du auf http://www.studyguru.eu !

Marcos Pereira

Mar 14, 2018, 9:25:30 AM3/14/18
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Miguel.

Hope to see you there.

Best.

Marcos Pereira
Software Engineer, Lightbend.com

Marcos Pereira

Mar 14, 2018, 10:58:09 AM3/14/18
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dominik,

Yes, the platform is open source: https://github.com/discourse/discourse

Best.

tazmaniac

Mar 14, 2018, 2:23:13 PM3/14/18
to Play Framework [deprecated]
Hello, it doesn’t seem possible to access from the Discourse mobile app, something about “discuss.playframework.com does not support mobile APIs, have the owner upgrade Discourse to the latest”

Cheers

Tim Moore

Mar 14, 2018, 4:54:00 PM3/14/18
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
discuss.playframework.com redirects to discuss.lightbend.com. Does it work if you configure the mobile app to use discuss.lightbend.com instead?

Cheers,
Tim

--
Please join our new forum at https://discuss.playframework.com!
The play-framework Google Group will soon be put into read-only mode.

Tim Moore
Lagom Tech Lead, Lightbend, Inc.

Chris Webb

Mar 14, 2018, 5:29:43 PM3/14/18
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Yes that works

Cheers

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 at 20:54, Tim Moore <tim....@lightbend.com> wrote:
[...]

m: +44 77 8639 2359

Tim Moore

Mar 15, 2018, 11:22:48 AM3/15/18
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again for reporting this, Chris. We've added a post with instructions for configuring the mobile app: https://discuss.lightbend.com/t/how-to-add-the-forums-to-the-mobile-app/226

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 8:29 AM, Tim Moore <tim....@lightbend.com> wrote:
Thanks for confirming... I'll think about how we can make that more obvious for everyone.

Best,
Tim

Tim Moore