[Java-2.5.3] Nothing happens

Johan Dahlberg

May 26, 2016, 4:21:52 AM5/26/16
to play-framework
I have a strange problem. After solving all the errors I've got after upgrading from 2.4.x to 2.5.3 I start the project with "sbt ~run". Then it looks like it's staring but the page just keeps loading.

Anyone that has seen a similiar problem? This is all that's in the application log.

-- (Running the application, auto-reloading is enabled) ---

[info] p.c.s.NettyServer - Listening for HTTP on /0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:9000

(Server started, use Ctrl+D to stop and go back to the console...)

[success] Compiled in 1s
application-logger.xml and logger.xml are no longer supported. Please name your file logback.xml
Loading class `com.mysql.jdbc.Driver'. This is deprecated. The new driver class is `com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver'. The driver is automatically registered via the SPI and manual loading of the driver class is generally unnecessary.
[info] application - Creating Pool for datasource 'default'
[warn] c.z.h.u.DriverDataSource - Registered driver with driverClassName=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver was not found, trying direct instantiation.
[info] p.a.d.HikariCPConnectionPool - datasource [default] bound to JNDI as DefaultDS
[info] p.a.d.DefaultDBApi - Database [default] connected at .....
onStartModule...
[info] application - Redis Plugin enabled. Connecting to Redis on localhost:6379 to 0 with timeout 2000.
[info] application - Redis Plugin pool configuration: redis.clients.jedis.JedisPoolConfig ..........

followed by a lot of these:

[warn] o.h.c.AnnotationBinder - HHH000457: Joined inheritance hierarchy [models.statistics.Statistics] defined explicit @DiscriminatorColumn.  Legacy Hibernate behavior was to ignore the @DiscriminatorColumn.  However, as part of issue HHH-6911 we now apply the explicit @DiscriminatorColumn.  If you would prefer the legacy behavior, enable the `hibernate.discriminator.ignore_explicit_for_joined` setting (hibernate.discriminator.ignore_explicit_for_joined=true)

Will Sargent

May 26, 2016, 7:32:41 PM5/26/16
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
If you turn on <logger name="play" value="TRACE"/> in your logback.xml file, it'll tell you everything that's happening internally.

Johan Dahlberg

May 27, 2016, 5:44:13 AM5/27/16
to play-framework
I enabled TRACE for everything and this is everything that is printed after Slf4jLogger is started:

[info] a.e.s.Slf4jLogger - Slf4jLogger started
[debug] p.a.l.c.ActorSystemProvider - Starting application default Akka system: application
[debug] c.g.i.i.u.Stopwatch - Instance injection: 408ms
[debug] a.e.EventStream - logger log1-Slf4jLogger started
[debug] a.e.EventStream - Default Loggers started
[debug] c.z.h.p.HikariPool - HikariPool-0 - Added connection com.mysql.jdbc.JDBC4Connection@67be9ec7
[debug] c.z.h.p.HikariPool - HikariPool-0 - Added connection com.mysql.jdbc.JDBC4Connection@12f0375c
[debug] c.z.h.p.HikariPool - After adding pool HikariPool-0 stats (total=32, active=0, idle=32, waiting=0)
Starting onStartModule...
[debug] c.g.i.i.u.Stopwatch - Preloading singletons: 203ms
[trace] p.c.s.n.PlayRequestHandler - channelReadComplete: ctx = io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext@1026f8ef

Nothing happens after that more than HikariCP doing it's cleanup every X seconds.

/Johan

Johan Dahlberg

May 27, 2016, 5:48:21 AM5/27/16
to play-framework
If i reloaded the page a little bit after the last I got this but nothing more:

[trace] p.c.s.n.PlayRequestHandler - Http request received by netty: com.typesafe.netty.http.EmptyHttpRequest(DefaultHttpRequest(decodeResult: success, version: HTTP/1.1)
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost:9000
... (the rest of the request)

/Johan

Will Sargent

May 27, 2016, 12:40:09 PM5/27/16
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Okay, well, you're getting the request.  You're not getting a response back.

You may want to debug Play: run "activator -jvm-debug" as per

and set up a connection using Remote Debug through Intellij IDEA:

and then set some breakpoints inside your application.  When you use the browser or curl / httpie to connect to the application, the breakpoint should trigger and from there you can step through the application.

Will.

Johan Dahlberg

May 27, 2016, 6:27:44 PM5/27/16
to play-framework
I did that and it's not reaching to controller and it only has a Transactional annotation. So I have TRACE logging enabled for the whole project and it doesn't write a single log line after the request logging and it doesn't reach the index action in the controller.

onStartModule...

is written right before the following line in my OnStartModule:

actorSystem.scheduler.scheduleOnce(20 seconds, onStartActor, "tick")

and that actor doesn't get the message after 20 seconds.

/Johan

Johan Dahlberg

May 30, 2016, 5:56:13 AM5/30/16
to play-framework
I tried to debug where it stops and in play.core.server.netty.PlayRequestHandler it reaches line 64:

val tryRequest = modelConversion.convertRequest(requestId,
      channel.remoteAddress().asInstanceOf[InetSocketAddress], Option(channel.pipeline().get(classOf[SslHandler])),
      request)

After that I can't see that it's coming any further.

/Johan