[1.3.0] When did you plan to release it

Alex

Nov 4, 2012, 9:40:23 PM11/4/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
The 1.3.0 should have been release after the 1.2.5, and after it was expecting for September, but right now there is no expected release date?
Is the Play 1.3.X support finished?

tschundeee

Nov 5, 2012, 3:20:39 PM11/5/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/playframework/play/tree/1.3.x shows that the last commit was a month ago...

Currently nobody seems to be working on it any more.

Nicolas Leroux

Nov 5, 2012, 3:32:19 PM11/5/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Yes sorry. I am still planning to work on it and 3 other devs are now part of the team. However the team is really busy with play 2 and it is the priority.

Sent from my iPhone

On 5 nov. 2012, at 21:20, tschundeee <b.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

https://github.com/playframework/play/tree/1.3.x shows that the last commit was a month ago...

Currently nobody seems to be working on it any more.

Alex

Nov 20, 2012, 2:22:27 AM11/20/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Why do you not release a first release 1.3.0 with Hibernate libraries updated, then later a release 1.3.1 with other fixes.

I am asking for it because we already update some of our modules to hibernate 4, as it should be in the previous release 1.2.5, so we need to maintains 2 versions up to the version 1.3.0 will be released.

Thanks

Fehmi Can Saglam

Dec 19, 2012, 4:54:42 AM12/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Any news on this topic? We really need the updated hibernate version.

BTW should the HEAD of 1.3.x branch work? Can we use it on production?

sözlerim hazinem, sözlerim ben;
bir elimde kalem, bir elimde sen;

Dmitriy Arkhipov

Dec 24, 2012, 11:14:15 AM12/24/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Play Framework 1.x is nice simple web framework. It is used by a lot of production projects. I would like to support continued. Even by forces of community. I believe that 1.x can be given a second life.

machinecode

Jan 13, 2013, 5:03:34 PM1/13/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Completely i agree with Dmitriy...

Igmar Palsenberg

Jan 18, 2013, 8:12:41 AM1/18/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:54:42 AM UTC+1, Fehmi Can Saglam wrote:
Any news on this topic? We really need the updated hibernate version.

BTW should the HEAD of 1.3.x branch work? Can we use it on production?

We use this version in production (actually, I rolled my own version). The current master works fine form me.

Igmar

Stefan Gündhör

Jan 22, 2013, 5:30:22 PM1/22/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
There have been so many opinions and statements on the topic Play! v1 vs v2 already and still I would like to share mine as well.
v1 and v2 are different enough that they in fact can be seen as two different frameworks for their own purposes and target groups.
I don't see any reason, why v1 shouldn't be continued and co-exist with v2 while still evolving and moving onwards in the v1 direction.

I honestly hope some talented DEVs will continue working on v1 and if necessary even fork it.
Currently I only use v1 myself, but I plan to also use v2 in some specific projects. There are just different cases where either v1 or v2 is more suitable, but v2 is definitely not most suitable in all cases, nor is v1 and this is the reason why they should co-exist. You can't fully replace something that provides advantages in a couple / a lot of situations.

Rakesh Waghela

Jan 23, 2013, 4:24:37 AM1/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

Thomas Parle

Jan 31, 2013, 8:11:58 PM1/31/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Agree with Dimitri. I have a lot of fun and efficiency with Play 1, and it made me love Java again for web development.
Tom

green

Jan 31, 2013, 8:53:06 PM1/31/13
to play-framework
Hi, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVXFu9c4qAQ, will give you more fun for web development:) It's an new tool I built into rythm plugin for playframework which enable you to put a code marker inside your template file, and when you are debugging your pages, hold on the ctrl-key to activate those code markers, clicking on them will cause your IDEA to open the marked file and goes to the marked line. Very handy for you to locate your template code corresponding to a specific web element.

Note for the moment it works only with IntelliJ IDEA and require you to install this IDEA plugin: http://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin?pr=webide&pluginId=6027

Alex

Apr 18, 2013, 9:18:48 PM4/18/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Yes I saw that play 2 is the current priority (many updates / fixes).
How can I help you on play 1.x, to check issues state, to review some push requests, or other ?
Just let me know.

Thanks

notalifeform

Apr 20, 2013, 12:14:32 AM4/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

You could actually exactly do that: check issues state and check pull requests.
Having more people involved in that would definitely help - so feel free to comment both on lighthouse and github issues.

regards,

Robert

machinecode

May 29, 2013, 9:27:37 AM5/29/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Is there any news about release date?

Nicolas Leroux

May 29, 2013, 9:51:22 AM5/29/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fr...@googlegroups.com
As soon as possible. The only things left to do is to add helpers for the hibernate multi db support actually. Expect an rc1 in the coming weeks.

Nicolas

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to play-framewor...@googlegroups.com.

Johan Vosloo

May 29, 2013, 2:12:07 PM5/29/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
That's great news Nicolas!

azwar akbar

May 29, 2013, 2:30:32 PM5/29/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to hear that. Keep up the development.
--

regards,
Azwar Akbar

Jesper Rønn-Jensen

May 29, 2013, 2:49:02 PM5/29/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Excellent to hear these great news, Nicholas.

Please involve the group here ... I am sure people can step in and help in case you need it.

It's been SOOO long since 1.2.5, and we're eager to put a big site onto the 1.3 code :)

/Jesper Rønn-Jensen

Daniel Peixoto

May 30, 2013, 5:23:44 AM5/30/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Great news!!

Yrjö Kari-Koskinen

Jun 25, 2013, 6:27:56 AM6/25/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

any update on the 1.3.0 rc1 release date?

Cheers,
 - Ykä

Francesco Paolo Schiavone

Jun 26, 2013, 6:09:44 AM6/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this update on the Play 1 project. I really hope to get the 1.3 soon!

Johan Vosloo

Jun 26, 2013, 9:55:23 AM6/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Yes - we're also very keen for 1.3 to come out

Chris Webb

Jun 26, 2013, 11:46:31 AM6/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Likewise :)

Ömer Faruk AK

Jun 26, 2013, 11:52:12 AM6/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I'm also waiting. :)

2013/6/26 Chris Webb <ch...@spinthewebb.com>

Ömer Faruk AK
fa...@iyte.net
555 557 12 45
www.omerfarukak.com

Jan Mar

Jul 27, 2013, 11:50:11 AM7/27/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Is there any update on this? Many people are eagerly waiting for this to come out.

Tom Carchrae

Jul 29, 2013, 12:21:00 PM7/29/13
to play-framework
I've been using a 1.3.x build for some time.  I have only had one issue with chunked responses, but the other improvements and fixes are worth it.

It would be helpful to have everyone start using an RC version sometime before the final release.

Tom

Nicolas Leroux

Jul 29, 2013, 12:22:53 PM7/29/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-framework
Yes an RC will be out soon

Sent from my iPhone

sean yang

Aug 20, 2013, 10:36:02 PM8/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Is the 1.3.0 rc out?

Carl

Aug 23, 2013, 10:22:08 AM8/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net

On Monday, July 29, 2013 6:21:00 PM UTC+2, Tom Carchrae wrote:
I've been using a 1.3.x build for some time.  I have only had one issue with chunked responses, but the other improvements and fixes are worth it.

Hello,

is there a way to get one early release or changelog of 1.3.

Is there any instruction to build play 1.3 ?
Is building framework/build.xml enough to get a working prototype ?

What are the main features of 1.3.X ?
Shall we expect any performance improvement ?

Carl

Aug 23, 2013, 11:29:49 AM8/23/13

On Friday, August 23, 2013 4:22:08 PM UTC+2, Carl wrote:

Hello,

is there a way to get one early release or changelog of 1.3.

Is there any instruction to build play 1.3 ?
Is building framework/build.xml enough to get a working prototype ?

1. Build the distribution
git clone https://github.com/playframework/play1.git -b 1.3.x --depth 10
cd play1/framework
ant package

And you should get a brand play 1.3 distribution in the framework/dist folder !

2. Install the distribution
Well, that's pretty much an unzip

3. Reinstall your modules
Humm, siena

4. Update your projects files
play dependencies
play eclipsify

Because a lot of third part libraries have been updated, you have
to re generate the project files and update the dependencies

Executing ant package in the framework directory seem

notalifeform

Aug 23, 2013, 4:03:59 PM8/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net

Hello,

is there a way to get one early release or changelog of 1.3.

Is there any instruction to build play 1.3 ?
Is building framework/build.xml enough to get a working prototype ?

you answered this yourself :-)

What are the main features of 1.3.X ?

multi-db support and loads of bug fixes

Shall we expect any performance improvement ?

no, not really.

regards,

Robert

Scott Rippee

Nov 19, 2013, 6:36:06 PM11/19/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
Hi,

Are there any updates on when a 1.3.0 RC may be available?  What can I do to help?

Scott

notalifeform

Nov 20, 2013, 4:50:50 PM11/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
Hi Scott,

We're planning to get it out there this year. Since there are a lot of changes we expect a lot of feedback on the RC; it would really help if a lot of people would test the current 1.3.x branch against their existing code. It will reduce the number of RC's needed to get to a final release.

regards,

Robert

Scott Rippee

Nov 20, 2013, 5:01:26 PM11/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Great, I'll have an environment setup with 1.3.x shortly.

Thanks

Tom Carchrae

Nov 20, 2013, 5:17:02 PM11/20/13
to play-framework
In terms of performance, the ability to use the netty pipeline compression got me a big boost in performance.  When combined with compressing assets with minifymod I was able to turn a pagespeed ( https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/ ) score of around 60-70 into something in the 90s.

I apologise for this not being any more detailed and being able to tell you which component did the most.  Not very scientific.

Of course, it won't fix your horrible database queries.  :)

Tom

svenkubiak

Nov 22, 2013, 6:59:58 AM11/22/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
Does the 1.3.0-master contain all the security fixes that have been put in the 1.2.x branch? In other words, is it "safe" to use the 1.3.0-master in production?

Regards
Sven

svenkubiak

Nov 22, 2013, 7:01:03 AM11/22/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
Is this an auto-enabled feature or did you manually activate it?

Regards
Sven

Nicolas Leroux

Nov 22, 2013, 7:08:54 AM11/22/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
Yes it does

Sent from my iPhone

Tom Carchrae

Nov 22, 2013, 11:58:57 AM11/22/13
to svenkubiak, play-framework
See: https://github.com/playframework/play1/commit/2232df2de8bf57a0eb85333b337714d7b496840a

If you look in an application.conf generated by play 1.3 you'll see some instructions.

Tom

svenkubiak

Nov 23, 2013, 8:43:41 AM11/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, svenkubiak, t...@carchrae.net
Thanks! Found it and first tests look promising.

Marcel Klemenz

Nov 26, 2013, 6:30:08 AM11/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
Hi notalifeform,

a  release candidate would motivate a lot more people to test the 1.3 branch. I would and we have currently > 20 projects in production.

regards,

maklemenz

Johan Vosloo

Nov 26, 2013, 10:07:09 AM11/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
Ditto

Hopefully the documentation is also updated to reflect some of the new features like multi-db, netty pipeline compression, etc.

notalifeform

Nov 26, 2013, 3:33:21 PM11/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
Hi Johan,

We trying to make sure the changes come with proper documentation, but we might have missed something in the passed - if you find any omisions, please feel free to contribute.

regards,

Robert

notalifeform

Nov 26, 2013, 3:35:22 PM11/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
Hi maklemenz,

We think that the RC should include the multi-db which is not finished yet.

regards,

Robert

Marcel Klemenz

Nov 26, 2013, 4:16:39 PM11/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
Hi notalifeform,

I don't know which part is not finished yet, but I can tell you that we use an earlier state of the 1.3 branch with security patches that came later in a production project. We really needed multi db support and did a lot of testing before making that decision, but it works for us.

regards,

maklemenz

J Armand Eyango

Nov 26, 2013, 11:15:41 PM11/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
Good to know :-)

2013/11/26 Marcel Klemenz <makl...@gmail.com>

Glowd Field

Nov 27, 2013, 3:44:30 AM11/27/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
respect

在 2013年11月27日星期三UTC+8下午12时15分41秒,ArmaniJ写道:

Dean Hiller

Dec 3, 2013, 9:29:53 PM12/3/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
hmmm, I mistakingly thought master was 1.3 and there is a 1.3.x branch as well.  Is master 1.4 or something?  What is the difference between 1.3.x and master?

and more importantly, I guess I need to port all my fixes so far to 1.3.x to get that working instead?

thanks,
Dean

Nicolas Leroux

Dec 4, 2013, 3:15:26 AM12/4/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
No master is not the 1.4. Master is just for people that use the master branch (like you ;) ).

Nicolas

Grzegorz Słowikowski

Dec 5, 2013, 7:11:37 AM12/5/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
Hi

I think, nobody really knows what "master" is :)
You are not the first one asking.

Greetings
Grzegorz Slowikowski

Dean Hiller

Dec 5, 2013, 11:50:55 AM12/5/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
hmmmm, did 1.3.x come off of master or did it come off of 1.2.x branch.

and is there plans of forking 1.4 from 1.3 or will it be forked from master.

ie. I would prefer to be on the "living" branches and it sounds like all my pulls went into master which may not have as much activity.

Nicolas Leroux

Dec 5, 2013, 1:22:34 PM12/5/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
There is no plan for the 1.4 and there probably will not be a 1.4. The 1.3 will be the latest branch.

Nicolas

Lukasz

Dec 18, 2013, 7:41:45 AM12/18/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys!

Are there any chances for 1.3 RC1 this year? :)

Cheers,
Lukasz

Carl

Dec 19, 2013, 9:50:00 AM12/19/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:41:45 PM UTC+1, Lukasz wrote:
Hi guys!

Are there any chances for 1.3 RC1 this year? :)

I can only imagine  how those kind of questions can be annoying
for the people that are working on play 1.3.

That being said Luksaz, if you want to test play and submit bugs or patch, you can
toy with the the last version very simply.
And check that your application still work fine with the new version.

1. Build the distribution
git clone https://github.com/playframework/play1.git -b master --depth 10

cd play1/framework
ant package

And you should get a brand play 1.3 distribution in the framework/dist folder !

2. Install the distribution
Well, that's pretty much an unzip

3. Reinstall your modules

4. Update your projects files
play dependencies
play eclipsify

Keep up the good work guys,
C.

Dean Hiller

Dec 19, 2013, 3:45:07 PM12/19/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
actually, you would want the 1.3.x branch not master branch.  No one knows what master is apparantely and if you compare to 1.3.x, there is tons of differences like a new bytecodeparser library and such.

I work strictly off master branch and submit fixes to that right now......we just checkout and run "ant package" from the play/framework directory and use that built release.

Dean

Dean Hiller

Dec 20, 2013, 10:54:27 AM12/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, t...@carchrae.net
what aspect of multi-db is not finished yet?  Also, I don't see any docs in the localhost:9000/@documentation (master branch) or are they on 1.3 branch?

That is a feature I would like to read more into and potentially use in the future.

thanks,
Dean

Johan Vosloo

Dec 21, 2013, 7:59:30 AM12/21/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I Just started testing using the latest 1.3 branch. Mostly everything looks ok, but have run into 2 issues so far:

1. Hibernate 4 deprecated positional parameter warnings. I thought this addressed before (http://play.lighthouseapp.com/projects/57987/tickets/1502-jpahibernate-warns-about-use-of-deprecated-positional-parameter) ?

2. A Hibernate null pointer exception which I don't get with 1.2.7 (I yet have to debug a bit more to see what's cooking):

AbstractMethodError occured : null
play.exceptions.JavaExecutionException
at play.mvc.ActionInvoker.invoke(ActionInvoker.java:237)
at Invocation.HTTP Request(Play!)
Caused by: java.lang.AbstractMethodError
at org.hibernate.type.CustomType.nullSafeGet(CustomType.java:124)
at org.hibernate.type.AbstractType.hydrate(AbstractType.java:106)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.hydrate(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2704)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.loadFromResultSet(Loader.java:1541)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.instanceNotYetLoaded(Loader.java:1473)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.getRow(Loader.java:1373)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.getRowFromResultSet(Loader.java:640)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:850)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:289)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:259)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.loadEntity(Loader.java:2033)
at org.hibernate.loader.entity.AbstractEntityLoader.load(AbstractEntityLoader.java:82)
at org.hibernate.loader.entity.EntityLoader.loadByUniqueKey(EntityLoader.java:161)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.loadByUniqueKey(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2211)
at org.hibernate.type.EntityType.loadByUniqueKey(EntityType.java:664)
at org.hibernate.type.EntityType.resolve(EntityType.java:444)
at org.hibernate.engine.internal.TwoPhaseLoad.doInitializeEntity(TwoPhaseLoad.java:168)
at org.hibernate.engine.internal.TwoPhaseLoad.initializeEntity(TwoPhaseLoad.java:134)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.initializeEntitiesAndCollections(Loader.java:995)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:874)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:289)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2438)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2424)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.listIgnoreQueryCache(Loader.java:2254)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.list(Loader.java:2249)
at org.hibernate.loader.hql.QueryLoader.list(QueryLoader.java:470)
at org.hibernate.hql.internal.ast.QueryTranslatorImpl.list(QueryTranslatorImpl.java:355)
at org.hibernate.engine.query.spi.HQLQueryPlan.performList(HQLQueryPlan.java:195)
at org.hibernate.internal.SessionImpl.list(SessionImpl.java:1248)
at org.hibernate.internal.QueryImpl.list(QueryImpl.java:101)
at org.hibernate.ejb.QueryImpl.getResultList(QueryImpl.java:256)

I will log a bug for the 2nd one if necessary, once I figure out what's causing it in more detail, but does anyone have any ideas around point 1?
Do I have to go and fix up all my JPA queries to stick in a number after each "?", i.e. change something like:

String query = "statement = ? and candidateBranchNames is not null";

String query = "statement = ?1 and candidateBranchNames is not null";

On Monday, 5 November 2012 04:40:23 UTC+2, Alex wrote:
The 1.3.0 should have been release after the 1.2.5, and after it was expecting for September, but right now there is no expected release date?
Is the Play 1.3.X support finished?

Dean Hiller

Dec 21, 2013, 8:38:12 AM12/21/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
one thing I never liked is that I think play modified the hibernate 4.1.3 release(and named it 4.1.3.jar still so you don't know)...either that or they have the wrong binaries(we were stepping through the 4.1.3 source and it didn't match the binaries that play-master/play 1.3.x have checked in.  (checking in the normal 4.1.3 binaries breaks their test suite)

We don't like modified versions of hibernate as then we don't know if the bug is in play or in hibernate, so we run a forked version of play on the branch called "latest" at https://github.com/deanhiller/play1 which

1. goes back to using manual mode=flush (VERY important so when they load entity from db and apply the form to the entity, it is not saved to the database on validation failures)
2. they wanted persist to save to database regardless of flush and wanted to make sure if you don't call persist, it doesn't save changes that were made(but that could have been done using manual flush mode).
3. They could use the Model classes if they decided everyone was going to have to call flush, but that obviously would break a lot of people so instead someone has to maintain this hacked version of hibernate(which frankly I don't think will happen due to lack of time).

We prefer just to adhere to the typical hibernate use cases so that any hibernate bugs we can go straight to the hibernate team ;).

The fix to get to normal hibernate is pretty simple
1. replace the playframework 4.1.3 hibernate jars with the real ones
2. modify the JPAContext and just add this code(it would be nice to make this a setting in application.conf someday but I am not sure they would accept my pull request on this one)

        Session session = (Session) manager.getDelegate();

        session.setFlushMode(FlushMode.MANUAL);

later,
Dean

Carl

Dec 23, 2013, 1:01:38 PM12/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, de...@buffalosw.com

On Saturday, December 21, 2013 2:38:12 PM UTC+1, Dean Hiller wrote:
one thing I never liked is that I think play modified the hibernate 4.1.3 release(and named it 4.1.3.jar still so you don't know)...

Thanks for that piece of information
It might come in handy :)

By the way, thanks for your work around play 1.2 :)

I want to take that opportunity to wish a nice seasonal holiday to you all.
And a happy kwanzanukkah to Lenny Kravitz.

C.

Nicolas Leroux - committer

Jan 3, 2014, 4:30:43 PM1/3/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
All,

I have just committed multi-db support in the 1.3.x branch and support for filter for the play plugin. Documentation and examples will follow.

I will be really interesting to know about any problems with the current 1.3.x branch, especially backward compatibility. Please report any issues on the group.

Play 1.3.x release is getting closer. BTW, do not forget to check play 2 as it is way more advanced than play 1 now.

Cheers,

Nicolas

Andy Lewis

Jan 20, 2014, 10:21:28 AM1/20/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I'm having a play with it now. The main observation I have is that I'm getting quite a few warnings / errors looking like this:

[DEPRECATION] Encountered positional parameter near line 1, column 46.  Positional parameter are considered deprecated; use named parameters or JPA-style positional parameters instead.

The first of these comes immediately before my 'Application [app] is started !' message.
I have no idea what is generating them.

Extra issues: - and I get the following on application startup:
There was a problem parsing dependencies.yml (module will not be loaded in order of the dependencies.yml)

Will report more as / when I find them.

Cheers,

Andy

Alex

Jan 20, 2014, 7:19:07 PM1/20/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,

About this problem :

[DEPRECATION] Encountered positional parameter near line 1, column 46.  Positional parameter are considered deprecated; use named parameters or JPA-style positional parameters instead.

Check your code first, we have fix this warning in play but we maybe forget some of them.
The problem can comes from your code when building some requests:
ex  xxx.find("name = ?" and age = ?", "test", 30).first() will throw this warning => you need to chnage this to xxx.find("name = ?1" and age = ?2", "test", 30).first()

About : There was a problem parsing dependencies.yml (module will not be loaded in order of the dependencies.yml)

Problem comes from plugins loading, some PR are already in progress https://github.com/playframework/play1/pull/726 if you need it, we will try to fix that soon.

Thanks for reporting

Cheers,

Alex

On Monday, January 20, 2014 11:21:28 PM UTC+8, Andy Lewis wrote:
I'm having a play with it now. The main observation I have is that I'm getting quite a few warnings / errors looking like this:

[DEPRECATION] Encountered positional parameter near line 1, column 46.  Positional parameter are considered deprecated; use named parameters or JPA-style positional parameters instead.

The first of these comes immediately before my 'Application [app] is started !' message.
I have no idea what is generating them.

Extra issues: - and I get the following on application startup:
There was a problem parsing dependencies.yml (module will not be loaded in order of the dependencies.yml)

Will report more as / when I find them.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Lewis

Jan 21, 2014, 4:18:46 AM1/21/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex.

Working through the codebase to deal with the positional params - it'll take some time, but it's not a deal-breaker. There do seem to be quite a few left in the main Play source.

The real brain-teaser I have now is that something strange is going on with the database connections. As time goes on, it keeps allocating new ones, not freeing up any old ones, and eventually errors out when it can't create new ones. (org.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: Could not open connection)

I've tried setting pool.minSize / pool.maxSize / pool.maxIdleTimeExcessConnections, but no go.

Andy

Alex

Jan 21, 2014, 4:40:24 AM1/21/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

 Ok, I will check on Play.

About your problem with your DB, note thaht the current on branch 1.3.x doesn't consider any hibernate.xxx
and jpa.xxx parameters, so you can have some problem if you had defined a different jpa.dialect.
I made a fix as I had some problem with DB too :  https://github.com/playframework/play1/pull/727

or another solution could be:
  • "jpa.dialect", "jpa.ddl", "jpa.xxx" migrate the properties to "jpa.default.dialect", ....
  • hibernate migrate the properties from "hibernate.xxx" to "default.hibernate.xxx",

Alex

Alex

Andy Lewis

Jan 21, 2014, 5:47:57 AM1/21/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Aye - I figured out about db.default. - hadn't realised I needed to do the same with jpa. & hibernate.

Didn't fix the problem though.

Out of curiosity, I tried dropping in hibernate 4.2.0.Final - which seems to work fine! Although it didn't fix the connection problem.
4.3.0.Final threw up some errors.

A.

John Pletka

Jan 21, 2014, 5:06:46 PM1/21/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
One thing I noticed was frequent collection [models.XXX] was not
processed by flush() exceptions. This was resolved by adding the
below to my model base class.
@PrePersist
protected void beforeInsert(){
Session hibernateSession = (Session) JPA.em().getDelegate();
hibernateSession.setFlushMode(FlushMode.MANUAL);
}

A side effect of this was the application will occasionally fail to
obtain a database connection now (maybe the pool is out, or there is
some kind of lock), and I need to restart to clear it. That only
happens about once every two days.

i.e.
org.hibernate.AssertionFailure: collection [models.User.tags] was not
processed by flush()
at org.hibernate.engine.CollectionEntry.postFlush(CollectionEntry.java:228)
at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractFlushingEventListener.postFlush(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:376)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEventListener.onFlush(DefaultFlushEventListener.java:52)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.flush(SessionImpl.java:1216)
at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.flush(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:962)
at play.db.jpa.JPABase._save(JPABase.java:41)

Alex

Jan 21, 2014, 8:59:35 PM1/21/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
we will make the older configuration work with multi DB, that means you will not need to move properties form db.xxx to db.default.xxx or with jpa., hibernate. but right now you need to do it, to make it work.
Sorry for that, but should be fix soon.

What kind of problem do you have, connection problem? I have detected some problems when making some update in the base, sometimes some exceptions are thowned, don't know why, but I plan to investigate that

Nicolas Leroux

Jan 22, 2014, 1:27:37 AM1/22/14

On 22 jan. 2014, at 02:59, Alex <alexandre...@gmail.com> wrote:

we will make the older configuration work with multi DB, that means you will not need to move properties form db.xxx to db.default.xxx or with jpa., hibernate. but right now you need to do it, to make it work.
Sorry for that, but should be fix soon.

Right now it is working without doing so. There is only an issue with the hibernate one.

I What kind of problem do you have, connection problem? I have detected some problems when making some update in the base, sometimes some exceptions are thowned, don't know why, but I plan to investigate that

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:47:57 PM UTC+8, Andy Lewis wrote:
Aye - I figured out about db.default. - hadn't realised I needed to do the same with jpa. & hibernate.

Didn't fix the problem though.

Out of curiosity, I tried dropping in hibernate 4.2.0.Final - which seems to work fine! Although it didn't fix the connection problem.
4.3.0.Final threw up some errors.

Yes because you need to apply the patch to the hibernate 4.3. See our patch directory for more info.

A.

Andy Lewis

Jan 22, 2014, 4:09:26 AM1/22/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, 22 January 2014 06:27:37 UTC, Nicolas Leroux - committer wrote:

Right now it is working without doing so. There is only an issue with the hibernate one.

It worked, until I specified any of the db.pool parameters. As soon as I did that, it began to throw errors (the first being that a null driver had been specified.
To clarify:

db.url=jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/my_database
db.driver=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
db.user=user
db.pass=pass

 worked fine, but if I added:
db.pool.minSize=3

it did not, and I had to specify db.default throughout.

Yes because you need to apply the patch to the hibernate 4.3. See our patch directory for more info.

Thanks. I'll give that a go.

Andy Lewis

Jan 22, 2014, 4:15:39 AM1/22/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
The connection issue is that it doesn't seem to be closing database connections consistently - so the number of open connections keeps building until it runs out and the whole thing dies.

I've been poking around with the debugger to try and work out what's going on, but at the moment, it's completely beyond me.

The exact same project has no such problems under 1.2.7

Andy

Phillip Wright

Apr 11, 2014, 1:57:14 PM4/11/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Is there any update on the possible time frame in which 1.3 will be released? At the beginning of the year, it was "soon," but do we have any idea what that means, roughly?

I know the common answer is (cheekily) that we should just upgrade to 1.3, but that isn't feasible for all of us who invested significant resources into developing with 1.X. It's also very difficult to convince management that we should transition to 2.X when the rug was pulled out from under us with 1.X and there doesn't seem to be much concern for those of us stuck with 1.X. If we receive 1.3, for instance, that will help us address certain immediate pain points (primarily related to the fact that we can't upgrade hibernate) while we plan out future transitions from the 1.X branch. If this does not happen and we have to jump away from 1.X *now*, I can assure you there is no way we will be jumping to 2.X, since going with Play 1.X is the *reason* why we have been forced to do this. I assume others are in a similar boat where they are forced into a situation of either leaving Play or trying to convince management that choosing Play 1 turned out to be a bad choice, but *this time* Play will be a good choice. Providing support which will allow these users to stick with Play 1.X a bit longer would be very beneficial for these people and, as a result, for Play and Typesafe.

Andy Lewis

Apr 12, 2014, 9:39:52 AM4/12/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Similar for us. We have a lot of work (years worth) invested in a CMS based around Play1 - and updating to Play2 at this time is not an option, no matter the advantages that it might bring.

Any indication of a realistic timescale for releasing 1.3 would be very welcome to us.

Bing Ran

Apr 12, 2014, 10:47:57 AM4/12/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
My company needs java 8 support badly in Play 1, which does not look like it's coming along without major work. I wish I was wrong.

Bing, via iPhone

在 2014年4月12日,上午1:57,Phillip Wright <phi...@phillipwright.info> 写道:

[...]

Andy Lewis

Jun 20, 2014, 12:14:16 PM6/20/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Any more news?

Dirceu Semighini Filho

Jun 20, 2014, 12:28:47 PM6/20/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean 2.3.0? It's already released.

Any more news?

Alexandre Chatiron

Jun 20, 2014, 11:59:38 PM6/20/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
We were working on  making  play 1 to work with JAVA8but there is still some issue if you use java8 specific  staff in models the main issue is with hibernate that doesn't have full support of java8

Andy Lewis

Jun 22, 2014, 12:20:25 PM6/22/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I mean 1.3.0, which isn't.

Andy Lewis

Jun 22, 2014, 12:28:57 PM6/22/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Java 8 isn't really a priority for us, but it would definitely be nice to have, and it's good to know you guys are still working on it through all the hectic 2.x developments. Do you have any kind of rough estimates for a, RC release?

Andy

Alex

Jun 26, 2014, 4:09:05 AM6/26/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com