Android OS anyone ?

Alpharay

Jun 28, 2016, 4:57:25 PM6/28/16
to play-framework
Hello, I know somebody asked the same question awhile back.  I am wondering if anybody have successfully done this recently.
I want to find a web framework that can install onto an Android platform (tv box).  It will be accessing SqlLite and do some background networking process.
Does Playframework use a lot of CPU /memory ?  Any thought ?

thanks
ray

Christian Schmitt

Jun 29, 2016, 5:31:09 AM6/29/16
to play-framework
Actually the newest Play! Framework needs Java 8 so that is not possible.
And everything below will be really tough, not because of the CPU / Memory (Play Apps could be lightweight) but because of Scala. You could run into DEX Method Count Limits pretty fast. I guess you could try it with a Multidex App or ProGuard and using Play 2.4 on Gradle (there is a Play! 2.4 Gradle Plugin in gradle-incubator)

Matthias Kurz

Jun 29, 2016, 8:47:45 AM6/29/16
to play-framework
Upcoming Android 7 will run Java 8  under the hood - you could give it a shot then.

Alpharay

Jun 29, 2016, 12:24:00 PM6/29/16
to play-framework
thanks for the inputs.
I guess I need to stay away from Play! for now.
Any suggestion on a framework that can run on the "current" Android OS ?
I am hoping to use Akka and with web frontend for control.

thanks

Igmar Palsenberg

Jun 29, 2016, 4:28:52 PM6/29/16
to play-framework

I guess I need to stay away from Play! for now.
Any suggestion on a framework that can run on the "current" Android OS ?
I am hoping to use Akka and with web frontend for control.

Android doesn't really run Java. It translates JVM bytecode into a native form. I highly doubt Akka would work on that.

Igmar