Project seed: What's the better approach ?

Thibault Meyer

Nov 29, 2016, 2:17:45 PM11/29/16
to Play Framework
Hi,

I seen on your website that activator is not the only way to create a new project. What is the better approach for a new project ? sbt or activator ?

Thanks

Greg Methvin

Nov 29, 2016, 2:54:02 PM11/29/16
to play-framework
If all you're doing is creating a new project, I'd suggest to sbt new or download one of the example project zip files and customize it to your needs. If you want the tutorials or any of the other content then use Activator.

Activator does more than most people need, which is why we are trying to move much of its functionality to the web and to sbt.

Greg Methvin
Senior Software Engineer

Thibault Meyer

Nov 29, 2016, 2:59:33 PM11/29/16
to Play Framework
hi Greg,

thanks for these information. Is activator will be discontinued (to know if we have to upgrade other existing projects) ?

Sincerly

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Thibault Meyer <thibaul...@payintech.com> wrote:
Hi,

I seen on your website that activator is not the only way to create a new project. What is the better approach for a new project ? sbt or activator ?

Thanks

Greg Methvin

Nov 29, 2016, 4:24:21 PM11/29/16
to play-framework
Officially there are no plans to discontinue Activator. If and when Lightbend does we will be sure to give plenty of advance notice and make sure there's a migration path.

Unless you are providing a tutorial using Activator's GUI, though, using giter8 and sbt new is probably a better solution. No reason to make someone download Activator just to create a new project from a template.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/play-framework/648f9c34-fcfa-4a78-91a4-3a51cf4de1f0%40googlegroups.com.

Thibault Meyer

Nov 29, 2016, 4:38:24 PM11/29/16
to Play Framework
Ok.

Thanks

Hannah J Swystun

Nov 29, 2016, 5:40:58 PM11/29/16
to Play Framework
Hi,
Activator will be rejected in the future because it has not been a great success
..
SBT is very flexible and light for use to creation or even entire manipulation of any kind of projects...