New members are moderated

Will Sargent

Jul 6, 2016, 6:35:46 PM7/6/16
to play-framework
Hi all,

We've had a rash of recruiter spam lately from different email addresses, meaning that it's difficult to ban them individually.

As a result, posts from new members who have just joined will be moderated so that the spam never makes it to the mailing list.  This is a little more overhead, but we'll be able to whitelist people as they come in after their initial post.

Thanks,
Will.

Will Sargent

Jul 12, 2016, 7:58:10 PM7/12/16
to play-framework
By the way, if anyone wants to volunteer as a moderator, please ping me off list.

Moderation workload is light, but I'd prefer if there was some redundancy built in -- basically, the latency goes up when my utilization rate more than 80%.

Will.

Ryan Tanner

Jul 13, 2016, 9:56:56 AM7/13/16
to play-framework
I'm interested.

Will Sargent

Aug 22, 2016, 1:46:30 PM8/22/16
to play-framework
We had another spammer -- this one joined Jun 27th, before the moderation took place.

Steve Chaloner

Oct 13, 2016, 3:29:21 AM10/13/16
to Play Framework
Maybe it's an idea to list all blocked spammers here?  I've just banned someone trying to sell Mule ESB training.
Message has been deleted

Will Sargent

Nov 8, 2016, 4:49:16 PM11/8/16
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
We can consider software architecture surveys (and "I'm a grad student asking for your time") to be spam -- they may be exactly what they're asking for, but they're still not the purpose of the list.

--
Will Sargent
Engineer, Lightbend, Inc.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Steve Chaloner <st...@objectify.be> wrote:
There's a pending message related to a software architecture survey (see below).  What's the policy on this type of post?

------------------------------
Dear All,

We're conducting a survey on software architecture modelling whose link is http://bit.ly/2bGpSN4

The survey aims at better understanding the practical knowledge and experience of practitioners on software architecture modelling languages.

If you spend 3-7 mins to fill the  survey, we would be so grateful to you. Indeed, we imperatively need participants to contribute our research on software architectures.

If you know any potential participants, would you mind me requesting you to forward to survey to them?

Best,
Mert

Message has been deleted

Enrico Morelli

Dec 13, 2016, 8:46:36 AM12/13/16
to Play Framework
Dear, in the following post
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/play-framework/clKE_uGUnXg
there is a strange answer from dalewil...@yahoo.com in a language that  I don't know and is not related to Play. Seems to be spam or something like that. Can you remove?

Thanks

Steve Chaloner

Dec 13, 2016, 9:19:38 AM12/13/16
to Play Framework
Done.  Thanks for the report.

Will Sargent

Dec 13, 2016, 2:21:39 PM12/13/16
to Play Framework
There are a number of users who signed up in November and are moderated, but somehow got through by embedding a message that contained unsubscribe text.  I think it's getting in through a bug in Google's filters.

Steve Chaloner

Jan 25, 2017, 7:20:07 AM1/25/17
to Play Framework
I suggest the group description is updated to be more explicit about this.  jOOQ seems to have a good approach.

Andrew Iyer

Feb 6, 2017, 4:40:07 AM2/6/17
to Play Framework
Hey, I'm not sure if my question is going through to this group - is this a moderation issue, is my question getting lost, or is it that because I'm unfamiliar with google groups I just cannot find my question here?

Byron Weber Becker

Feb 6, 2017, 1:01:06 PM2/6/17
to Play Framework

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 4:40:07 AM UTC-5, Andrew Iyer wrote:
Hey, I'm not sure if my question is going through to this group - is this a moderation issue, is my question getting lost, or is it that because I'm unfamiliar with google groups I just cannot find my question here?

This post came through.

Steve Chaloner

Feb 7, 2017, 4:26:35 AM2/7/17
to Play Framework
It's a moderation issue.  You have full posting privileges now.

Paul Fullbright

Feb 23, 2018, 2:27:10 PM2/23/18
to Play Framework
Is this done on a *daily* basis?? Having a hard time getting approved.

Greg Methvin

Feb 23, 2018, 4:22:54 PM2/23/18
to play-framework
Generally it's done on a daily basis at least. It'd also be great to have more volunteers to help out with moderation.

Byron Weber Becker

Feb 23, 2018, 4:40:01 PM2/23/18
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Greg — What’s involved with moderation?  I can probably help out.

Byron

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Play Framework" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/play-framework/CAO2h8AzAkvrZQ22yFwAb9Bxyn9Gwm07J5RaGY_3QiVhimayskQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Greg Methvin

Byron Weber Becker

Feb 27, 2018, 8:23:54 PM2/27/18
to Play Framework
Greg -- I can help out.  Email me off-list and we can work out details.

Byron