Play Framework 2.3 shutdown without logs

Juan A

May 26, 2015, 11:35:43 AM5/26/15
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

My play app works fine in development environment, but when I deploy to prod (using the dist command and with the same configuration than in dev environment) it dies after a few hours. I'm overriding the onStop method in Global settings to capture when the app closes but this is all what I get:

2015-05-26 00:23:01,552 - [INFO] - from application in Thread-5

Application is shutting shutdown...ByeBye

I'm unable to see the reason why the application is shutting down. It is not running out of memory.

Does anyone know how to enable some logging to understand what's going on? I tried this properties but did't make a difference:

akka.jvm-exit-on-fatal-error = false

play.akka.jvm-exit-on-fatal-error = false

Thanks,

Juan

James Roper

May 27, 2015, 12:17:14 AM5/27/15
to play-framework
If onStop is being invoked, then it means the JVM is being shut down cleanly, either in response to a SIGTERM signal, or something invoking System.exit.  So it's not likely to be a crash or memory issues.  Play never invokes System.exit.  Akka does, but the properties you set prevent it from doing so, and it logs when it does anyway.

So, this is not likely anything in Play that's causing this.  It could be something in your code, or could be something on your system.

James Roper
Software Engineer

Typesafe – Build reactive apps!
Twitter: @jroper

virtualeyes

May 27, 2015, 3:36:30 PM5/27/15
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
If not the heap then check permgen (assuming you're on Java <= 7).

Had a similar issue last year; hooking up a profiler revealed the issue.

Good luck.

Juan A

Jun 1, 2015, 11:17:31 PM6/1/15
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your answers. Im on java 7. @james, if it is in my code, do you have any idea of what could cause this? My code is pretty simple, Im exposing a REST API with a few services. I only have a controller and a service class that performs a few simple computations.

Thanks!

Rui Ferreira

Sep 28, 2015, 10:11:17 AM9/28/15
to play-framework
I'm experiencing the same issue.
The application shutdown gracefully according to the logs (onStop invoked) after approximately 2 hours on event without traffic. There are no memory issues reported. This happens with Play 2.3.9. I have other applications running Play 2.2.x and I had no issues like these.

Rui Ferreira

Sep 28, 2015, 10:13:55 AM9/28/15
to play-framework
Hey Juan,