why there is no more alternative downloads for Play 2.5.x?

Leandro Komosinski

Apr 26, 2017, 7:45:57 AM4/26/17
to Play Framework
  Hi all,

  Does someone knows why there is no more alternative downloads for Play 2.5.x? The page https://www.playframework.com/download#alternatives has no more links (only for 2.2.6 and below). I have all my undergraduate class content dependent on that huge file (activator zip file).

   I know the new way is "install sbt and run class examples" but why remove the link for activator zip file?

   Thanks,

Leandro

Greg Methvin

Apr 26, 2017, 4:30:55 PM4/26/17
to play-framework
For 2.3.x and above, the download was of Activator (a wrapper for SBT which will soon be EOLd), and those links were misleading since it was always the same version of activator, not for a specific version of Play. For Play itself there is nothing to download since the libraries are now all obtained through maven/ivy repositories defined in your build.

Greg Methvin
Tech Lead - Play Framework

Leandro Komosinski

Apr 27, 2017, 1:54:29 PM4/27/17
to Play Framework
  Hi  Greg,

  Thanks.

  But... just to be clear (for me): I always thought that after downloading that big (670 MB) activator zip file we could create apps offline (sort of "full" local ivy repo). Now, using only sbt, the local ivy repo is growing any time I create a new app  that uses some lib for first time.  In other words, we must always be online.

    Is that correct?

   Leandro

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 4:45 AM, Leandro Komosinski <leandro.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
  Hi all,

  Does someone knows why there is no more alternative downloads for Play 2.5.x? The page https://www.playframework.com/download#alternatives has no more links (only for 2.2.6 and below). I have all my undergraduate class content dependent on that huge file (activator zip file).

   I know the new way is "install sbt and run class examples" but why remove the link for activator zip file?

   Thanks,

Leandro

Will Sargent

Apr 27, 2017, 7:58:19 PM4/27/17
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leandro,

Sort of.  sbt 0.13.15 has a preloaded feature -- anything you put into $HOME/.sbt/preloaded will get loaded immediately from local cache (although you do need to have rsync installed):

You can get the sbt version which comes with a preset selection of libraries from Github -- it's the zip or tgz version:

And then you can put that under /opt:

tar zxvf sbt-0.13.15.tgz && mv sbt /opt && rm sbt-0.13.15.tgz
export SBT_HOME=/opt/sbt
export PATH=$SBT_HOME/bin:$PATH

The trick is knowing what has to be preloaded.  I'm currently futzing with a Docker image containing all the requirements, but I haven't quite got the full stack up and running:

Currently I have this:

There's an sbt-export-repo sbt plugin that's supposed to automate this to some extent, but I still have more libraries that don't resolve in the preloaded:

So the functionality is there, but it may take a bit to find the minimal set of libraries.

--
Will Sargent
Engineer, Lightbend, Inc.

Leandro Komosinski