What features make Play 2.x appealing?

Bhaarat Sharma

Sep 22, 2016, 3:51:05 PM9/22/16
to Play Framework

I'm trying to learn Play 2 (I can't seem to change the 2.0 in the title ..). Before I start reading the documentation/books/tutorials I wanted to come up with a project that I could do in Play. That way I can apply stuff I learn to a project and learn more in that process.

I've come up with a dummy project with basic requirements. It is a project that would make JSON API available via Play. That way I can focus just on Play and not worry about UI related stuff. I've come up with the below basic requirements. The question I have is, which, if any, of these requirements make Play an appealing solution for something like this? If there are none, could the community please give me some basic requirements I could add that would make me realize the power of Play? I'm very interested in how Akka helps Play and concurrency.

The REST Service Shall mimics 99designs.

  • Be able to register a user as designer or businessowner
  • Be able to authenticate a user based on Tokens
  • Allow businessowner to start a contest
  • Allow designers to upload designs to a contest
  • Allow businessowners to see the designs for their contest
  • Allow businessowners to award a design they like best
  • Transfer fake money to the winning designers account

Will Sargent

Sep 22, 2016, 3:59:46 PM9/22/16
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
There's a guide by Lightbend on using Play in a REST API:

Authenticating users and tokens is either Silhouette if you're on Scala: http://silhouette.mohiva.com/docs

or Play-Authenticate if you're on Java: http://joscha.github.io/play-authenticate/

You may want to use Deadbolt for authorization if you want to set limitations on what users can do.

--
Will Sargent
Engineer, Lightbend, Inc.

Bhaarat Sharma

Sep 22, 2016, 6:36:24 PM9/22/16
to Play Framework
Thanks Will. I came across that guide a few days ago and have it book marked. Thanks for the suggestions on Authentication. However, I'm still curious to know which demo/sample features I can add to this sample application that would be perfect for Play/Akka application. Or, in other general terms, when evaluating frameworks to build an application on what type of requirements might favor the decision towards Play/Akka?

Would welcome suggestions If there is a book/guide that can answers these questions.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Bhaarat Sharma <bhaa...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Will Sargent

Sep 22, 2016, 10:05:55 PM9/22/16
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
> However, I'm still curious to know which demo/sample features I can add to this sample application that would be perfect for Play/Akka application.

> Or, in other general terms, when evaluating frameworks to build an application on what type of requirements might favor the decision towards Play/Akka?

Those questions should be covered under the introduction of the Play REST API article:

Does it not make the case for Play?  What questions do you have that aren't covered by it?

--
Will Sargent
Engineer, Lightbend, Inc.

Bhaarat Sharma

Sep 23, 2016, 7:56:57 AM9/23/16
to Play Framework
Thanks, Will. That makes sense. I'll research a bit more about Akka streams and what features they might help with in a webapp.