Issues upgrading play 1.4.2 -> 1.4.3

Ricki Sickenger

Sep 26, 2016, 8:51:19 AM9/26/16
to Play Framework
Hi,

We are having issues upgrading from Play 1.4.2 to 1.4.3. While the application runs like a charm on 1.4.2, we get some wierd errors with 1.4.3:

On startup the play server complains that:

~ Server is up and running
26 sep 2016 13:36:28 [play-thread-1] ERROR play - Restart: Need to restart Play because <path>\application.conf has been changed
java.lang.RuntimeException: Need to restart Play because <path>\application.conf has been changed
at play.ConfigurationChangeWatcherPlugin.onConfigurationFileChanged(ConfigurationChangeWatcherPlugin.java:30)
at play.ConfigurationChangeWatcherPlugin.detectChange(ConfigurationChangeWatcherPlugin.java:24)
at play.plugins.PluginCollection.detectChange(PluginCollection.java:598)
at play.Play.detectChanges(Play.java:641)
at play.Invoker$Invocation.init(Invoker.java:199)
at Invocation.HTTP Request(Play!)

That does not happen with 1.4.2.

Also, we are getting multiple versjons of Groovy template tag errors:

26 sep 2016 13:36:59 [play-thread-1] DEBUG play - Failed to start tag extends in template /app/views/App/home.html
java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: play.templates.GroovyInlineTags._extends(int, play.templates.GroovyInlineTags$CALL)
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethod(Class.java:2130)
at play.templates.GroovyTemplateCompiler.startTag(GroovyTemplateCompiler.java:301)
at play.templates.TemplateCompiler.generate(TemplateCompiler.java:90)
at play.templates.TemplateCompiler.compile(TemplateCompiler.java:15)
at play.templates.GroovyTemplateCompiler.compile(GroovyTemplateCompiler.java:40)
at play.templates.TemplateCompiler.compile(TemplateCompiler.java:28)
at play.templates.TemplateLoader.load(TemplateLoader.java:81)
at play.templates.TemplateLoader.load(TemplateLoader.java:176)
at play.mvc.Controller.renderTemplate(Controller.java:838)
at play.mvc.Controller.renderTemplate(Controller.java:817)
at play.mvc.Controller.render(Controller.java:879)
at controllers.App.home(App.java:307)
at play.mvc.ActionInvoker.invokeWithContinuation(ActionInvoker.java:566)
at play.mvc.ActionInvoker.invoke(ActionInvoker.java:516)
at play.mvc.ActionInvoker.invokeControllerMethod(ActionInvoker.java:511)
at play.mvc.ActionInvoker.invokeControllerMethod(ActionInvoker.java:480)
at play.mvc.ActionInvoker.invoke(ActionInvoker.java:162)
at Invocation.HTTP Request(Play!)

and:

26 sep 2016 13:36:59 [play-thread-1] DEBUG play - Failed to start tag set in template /app/views/App/home.html
java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: play.templates.GroovyInlineTags._set(int, play.templates.GroovyInlineTags$CALL)
[...]

and more. It seems like Play or Groovy is having problems with tags in general. *BUT* the wierd thing is that the pages render and seem to work fine, and on a refresh we get no more errors. The templates have apparently been compiled despite the exceptions, so they won't be recompiled.

I've been searching google without any success, and can't figure out what might cause this. I have even tried reverting the Groovy versjon back to 2.4.6 to see if it would help, but no luck.

Could it be some previously swallowed exceptions now being shown? From the release notes of 1.4.3 it doesn't seem like there are any major updates, except the Groovy update which I have already tried downgrading without success.

Does anyone have a similar experience or any ideas what could be the problem?

Scott Langley

Sep 27, 2016, 4:44:55 PM9/27/16
to Play Framework
I think it could, indeed, be the case of previously-swallowed exceptions now being thrown.

https://github.com/playframework/play1/pull/966/commits/07162e8688b684fa77f53a8f0687b76a16769d40

Per Halvor Tryggeseth

Oct 11, 2016, 6:57:32 AM10/11/16
to Play Framework
I get exactly the same issue with 1.4.3. Are this exceptions significant in any way or ought they be handled quietly within the playframework?

Regards, Per Halvor Tryggeseth

Scott Langley

Oct 12, 2016, 9:11:22 PM10/12/16
to Play Framework
I don't think theses exceptions are significant at all.

The first seems to be a bug introduced into Play! because inside the ConfigurationChangeWatcherPlugin the value of the static variable configLastModified is not properly initialized by the time it is used in the comparison inside the detectChange() function.

The second exception hasn't affected my apps any.