Winding down 2.4 development

James Roper

Apr 26, 2015, 11:12:56 PM4/26/15
to play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As we approach the release of Play 2.4, we are naturally going to wind down the development of 2.4.  At this stage in the release lifecycle, there's always a tension - on the one hand, there will be many fixes, especially to documentation, that will need to be done, so if we fork a 2.4.x branch off now, there will be a lot of overhead to ensure all changes make it into both branches.  On the other hand, there will be new pull requests coming in all the time, some which are too big to merge into 2.4 at this late stage, and it's always better to merge sooner rather than later because if you delay, you risk the author losing interest (or time) and then they aren't able to update the PR when feedback is given.

So, we won't fork just yet, but if we start getting a lot of PRs that are for new features or too big for 2.4, then we'll consider forking.  For now, we need to be conservative about what we accept, our focus now should be quality, we don't want to be introducing regressions at this late hour.  There's a few open new feature PRs that we might still merge, but they will have to be the last.

Cheers,

James

--
James Roper