Algolia docsearch

James Roper

May 27, 2016, 2:37:19 AM5/27/16
to play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Have we considered using Algolia docsearch for the Play docs?

Akka is using it, check it out:

--
James Roper
Software Engineer

Lightbend – Build reactive apps!
Twitter: @jroper

Greg Methvin

May 27, 2016, 2:49:00 AM5/27/16
to James Roper, play-fram...@googlegroups.com, Will Sargent
Hi James,

Actually, Will set that up a while ago. That's what the search at the top of the current docs uses. I guess we didn't do a great job publicising it though...

Greg

Greg Methvin
Senior Software Engineer

James Roper

May 27, 2016, 2:56:20 AM5/27/16
to Greg Methvin, play-fram...@googlegroups.com, Will Sargent
Wow, no I didn't see that.  That's cool.

Julien L.

Christian Schmitt

May 27, 2016, 6:54:39 AM5/27/16
to Play framework dev, ja...@lightbend.com, will.s...@lightbend.com
Actually also there is no way (yet) to know if you click on a Java API instead of a Scala API

Will Sargent

May 27, 2016, 1:41:35 PM5/27/16
to Christian Schmitt, Play framework dev, James Roper
Algolia relies on the tags that come from the backend, so we need internal knowledge of what's "Java" vs "Scala" yet before we can hand that out.

I've thought about it a bit and I don't like the current system of requiring "Java" or "Scala" at the beginning of the page.

I'm going to see what I can do to add some kind of metadata system directly to the markdown or repository.

Am Freitag, 27. Mai 2016 10:46:59 UTC+2 schrieb Julien L.:
Just a little feedback about this integration: It's no longer possible to open a search result in a new tab... rather annoying.

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 8:49:00 AM UTC+2, Greg Methvin wrote:
Hi James,

Actually, Will set that up a while ago. That's what the search at the top of the current docs uses. I guess we didn't do a great job publicising it though...

Greg
On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 11:36 PM, James Roper <ja...@lightbend.com> wrote:
Hey all,

Have we considered using Algolia docsearch for the Play docs?

Akka is using it, check it out:

--
James Roper
Software Engineer

Lightbend – Build reactive apps!
Twitter: @jroper

Will Sargent

May 27, 2016, 1:44:43 PM5/27/16
to Julien L., Play framework dev, James Roper
I can't change that from the Javascript helper they include.  I'd have to add in an integration from the Scala client:

or write a custom JS helper.  I'm not sure it's worth it.

Will.