Best Practices for sample applications

Will Sargent

Apr 13, 2016, 8:11:33 PM4/13/16
to Play framework dev
Hi all,

I'm in the process of upgrading some sample applications to 2.5.x:

and noticed that they're under typesafehub and don't mention "play" anywhere in the title or description.   Would it make more sense to move them under playframework organization (meaning that Play contributors can submit and review PRs) and change the name to something more meaningful?  Like "play-java-ebean" for example...

Also, does it make sense to keep upgrading existing projects, or should I fork a new "play-2.5-java-ebean" project and have different version specific projects?  I know it's been a source of frustration for teams that are upgrading from 2.3.x to 2.4.x, because they can't find stepwise increments of the same project.  Using branches with different versions doesn't seem to work very well, because it doesn't display very well in Github -- the default is "master" and most people don't know to look for a "2.4.x" branch in the dropdown on the left.

What have people run into, and what's most useful?  Want feedback.

Will.

Marcos Silva Pereira

Apr 13, 2016, 11:27:02 PM4/13/16
to Play framework dev
Will,

If the sample projects are supposed to be maintained by play team (including contributors), I think it is ok to move them to "playframework" organization. These sample projects are specially interesting to upgrade following the migration guides (I've done something like that before to find missing steps at the migration guide). These are also more simple projects and could be a smaller gate to new contributors.

About naming "play-java-ebean" or "play-2.5-java-ebean", it looks like an Activator limitation. Shouldn't it be able to do some kind of versioning (to me multiple branches for different versions is a type of versioning)? If we decide to name (and rename) projects considering play version, this will "solve" the problem only to us, but not for the whole Activator community.

Best,

Will Sargent

May 24, 2016, 7:43:53 PM5/24/16
to Play framework dev