Awesome Play like site?

Will Sargent

May 17, 2016, 12:09:52 PM5/17/16
to play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've been putting together a more effective module site so that people know where to find authentication / authorization / CMS modules.

The current one is

which is nice, but is still a static page, and doesn't have the option to vote up, vote down, leave comments etc, and it's not easily discoverable.

I came across "Awesome Scala" today:

It looks like libhunt.com is already set up for this kind of thing.  How do people feel about documentation options like this?

Will.

Greg Methvin

May 17, 2016, 2:07:39 PM5/17/16
to Will Sargent, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, having categories with comparison between libs of a particular kind (e.g. auth modules) would be really useful. It would also be nice to have some comments by the author or contributed by other users.

It looks like the libraries are actually added in a static markdown file (https://github.com/lauris/awesome-scala/blob/master/README.md). Doesn't allow tons of flexibility but might be a good starting point.

Greg Methvin
Senior Software Engineer

Will Sargent

May 17, 2016, 2:44:42 PM5/17/16
to Greg Methvin, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, so we’d have a github.com/playframework/awesome-playframework and that would back libhunt.

It’s missing a few things, notably comments and ratings, but it’s at least better formatting than a Markdown file…

Naftoli Gugenheim

May 18, 2016, 2:31:01 PM5/18/16
to Will Sargent, Greg Methvin, play-fram...@googlegroups.com

Perhaps join forces with the scaladex effort?

Greg Methvin

May 18, 2016, 3:53:08 PM5/18/16
to Naftoli Gugenheim, Will Sargent, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
I think Scaladex will help a lot, but I'm not sure it does everything we need. We want to be able to showcase the best Play modules and have a place for the community to discuss them. I also see it as a tool to track which modules work with which versions of Play.

Will Sargent

May 18, 2016, 9:15:48 PM5/18/16
to Greg Methvin, Naftoli Gugenheim, play-fram...@googlegroups.com

Naftoli Gugenheim

May 19, 2016, 9:53:18 PM5/19/16
to Greg Methvin, Will Sargent, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 3:53 PM Greg Methvin <gr...@lightbend.com> wrote:
I think Scaladex will help a lot, but I'm not sure it does everything we need.

It doesn't do much yet, that's the point -- be part of the discussion on the scala-center gitter channel (https://gitter.im/scala/center) and influence its direction.

I think a lot of communities can benefit from the same sort of things that would benefit Play.

At a minimum, even if the UI would be different, maybe there's code that can be shared.

Will Sargent

May 21, 2016, 2:14:49 PM5/21/16
to Naftoli Gugenheim, Greg Methvin, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

So Scaladex's roadmap / schedule isn't out yet, but they said they would have something out on Monday we could look at to see where it fits in with Play modules.

Will.

Will Sargent

May 24, 2016, 7:39:32 PM5/24/16
to Play framework dev, nafto...@gmail.com, gr...@lightbend.com
Chatted to Guilliame -- he said they'll have code out for Scaladays Berlin.  No voting / comments, but the data will be exposed as REST API so it can be augmented if necessary.

Greg Methvin
Senior Software Engineer