Play community process - request for comment

James Roper

Apr 22, 2015, 8:20:59 PM4/22/15
to play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As the play team and community grows, it's important that we increase transparency as to how decisions are made for Play Framework.  For this reason, I've drafted up a community process document for the Play website.  This document is not a new process, it simply documents the existing processes that we follow, which is a very lightweight non bureaucratic process that everyone should already be familiar with - we're not going all JCP/JSR on the community :)

https://github.com/playframework/playframework.com/pull/18

My motivations for introducing this are as follows:

* Set out a common understanding by all team members of how the Play project functions
* Lower the barrier of entry to newcomers by making it transparent as to how decisions are made and how to achieve greater responsibility in the Play team
* Promote diversity by opening Play's processes up to everyone, not just those in the know
* Address some concerns that are raised from time to time, for example, what is Typesafe's relation to Play, who are and what is the responsibility of Play integrators, and the age old "who are you why did you close my issue?"

As I said, this page is meant to document the existing process.  If you think anything there doesn't match the existing process, or introduces new processes that you don't agree with, please comment.  Also, if you think anything is too wordy, or have any other criticisms, please comment - this document should be a collaboration of the existing community, not something that I hand down for everyone to follow.

Cheers,

--
James Roper
Software Engineer