Play 2.4.0-M2 released

James Roper

Dec 2, 2014, 11:44:07 PM12/2/14
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The Play team are proud to announce the release of Play 2.4.0-M2.

As with 2.4.0-M1, this release is not production ready, and the APIs it introduces may significantly change before 2.4.0 is released.  This release is primarily intended for Play developers and library developers to try out Play's new DI approach.

Due to the modularisation of Play (where we've started to pull things out of the Play core repository) the documentation is not quite ready yet, and you may need to set playOmnidoc := false in your build to run a Play 2.4.0-M2 application, until we finish the necessary infrastructure to get our documentation aggregation released.

Some of the highlights of this release since M1 include:

* Better configuration approach, much heavier use of reference.conf, and modules are now enabled/disabled via application.conf
* The Global object is now optional, being replaced by a number of interfaces including HttpErrorHandler, HttpRequestHandler and HttpFilters
* Some improved testing helpers (though there is still a lot of work to be done here)
* play-slick documentation is now included in the Play documentation
* Continued work on akka-http support

If you see any issues or have any ideas for improvements on the design, please discuss them on the play-framework-dev mailing list.

Enjoy!

--
James Roper
Software Engineer

Typesafe – Build reactive apps!
Twitter: @jroper

naturallog

Dec 3, 2014, 4:13:42 AM12/3/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
I got an Unresolved dependencies error for scalaz-stream

Had to explicitly include the resolver -  resolvers += "Scalaz Bintray Repo" at "http://dl.bintray.com/scalaz/releases"

Julien Richard-Foy

Dec 4, 2014, 3:26:16 AM12/4/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Do you plan to pull Anorm out of Play? (so that Anorm can get its own release lifecycle)

  Z E N G U L A R I T Y
––––––––––––––––––––––
Julien RICHARD-FOY - Programmer

56 rue Saint Lazare 75009 Paris
625 Market Street - San Francisco

Yann Simon

Dec 4, 2014, 3:27:46 AM12/4/14
to naturallog, play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
I had the same problem in a project using Specs2. The dependency comes surely from here.

It is quite unfortunate for people using a firm proxy like nexus.

naturallog

Dec 4, 2014, 3:58:43 AM12/4/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, blnar...@gmail.com, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Yes. sbt tells me that it is pulled in by specs2-matcher-extra
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to play-framework-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Kenji Yoshida

Dec 4, 2014, 4:11:58 AM12/4/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, blnar...@gmail.com, play-fram...@googlegroups.com

Will Sargent

Dec 4, 2014, 11:28:22 PM12/4/14
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Play has had TLS client certificate support since 2.3.x.

https://www.playframework.com/documentation/2.3.x/WsSSL

Will Sargent
Consultant, Professional Services
Typesafe, the company behind Play Framework, Akka and Scala

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Anton Kulaga <anton...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry, I accidently ommited a word. I meaned TLS client (browser) certificates support

05.12.2014 3:32 пользователь "James Roper" <jro...@gmail.com> написал:
On Friday, 5 December 2014 11:48:22 UTC+11, Anton Kulaga wrote:
what about TLS support, is it in plans?

Play has supported TLS since Play 2.1 was released, almost 2 years ago.

James Roper

Dec 5, 2014, 1:15:58 AM12/5/14
On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Anton Kulaga <anton...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry, I accidently ommited a word. I meaned TLS client (browser) certificates support

That's been supported since Play 2.3 was released:

05.12.2014 3:32 пользователь "James Roper" <jro...@gmail.com> написал:
On Friday, 5 December 2014 11:48:22 UTC+11, Anton Kulaga wrote:
what about TLS support, is it in plans?

Play has supported TLS since Play 2.1 was released, almost 2 years ago.

Onezino Gabriel Moreira

Jan 28, 2015, 9:04:52 AM1/28/15
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
I started a new project in play 2.3 but I'm wondering to use 2.4 since it is a new project and it'll have 3 month of work. Do you guys could suggest me what to take?

James Roper

Jan 28, 2015, 9:46:30 PM1/28/15
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

There is no anticipated release date for Play 3, it's likely to be a long time (1 year?).

Cheers,

James

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 5:17 AM, Greg Silin <gregni...@gmail.com> wrote:
James, quick question: I know that Play 3 is also in the works.  How far apart will they be released?

Sorry if I missed any communication on this earlier

Thanks
-greg

Rich Dougherty

Feb 1, 2015, 4:49:46 PM2/1/15
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Hi T

To get a new version you just need to update the Play version in your project's project/plugins.sbt file. Updating the version will tell sbt to download the new version of Play plugin.

Cheers
Rich

On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 8:33 AM, ßìnòy S <binoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to try out the 2.4-M2, but I didnt find any download link for that version.

How do I begin trying out the 2.4-M2 version ?

Rich Dougherty - @richdougherty
Engineer - Typesafe, Inc

Rich Dougherty

Feb 1, 2015, 7:52:04 PM2/1/15
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
There should be an M3 reasonably soon, probably in the next 2 weeks or so. We're doing some improved integration with Activator around the ~run interface so we need to coordinate a bit with the Activator developers around when we release.

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Megazord <con...@edulify.com> wrote:
Hello,

Will we have a M3 release any time soon? I mean, there are a lot of changes since M2 and I think we can help to test the current state of 2.4.0 development.

Cheers

naturallog

Feb 25, 2015, 3:06:30 AM2/25/15
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
+1 for a new milestone.
Am seeing some incredible commits in the last few days.

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 10:11:52 AM UTC+5:30, Slim Slam wrote:
Hey Rich,

  Is 2.4.0-M3 imminent?  Also, any very rough guestimate on when 2.4.0 might drop?

Cheers,

Jason

Rich Dougherty

Feb 25, 2015, 3:15:16 AM2/25/15
to naturallog, play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
We're probably not too far away from another milestone. I'll discuss it with the team tomorrow and see what they think. There are a couple of major PRs that were submitted today. We'll want to discuss and merge them first.

A final version of 2.4 is still a while away. I think we're planning on waiting for Akka 2.4 to be released, which is due by the end of March. So Play 2.4 might be April. We don't have a fixed date though, so don't hold us to that. :)

BTW, I was wrong before about coordinating the next 2.4 milestone with an Activator release. That was something we were doing for 2.3 not 2.4.

Rich Dougherty
Engineer, Typesafe, Inc

Rich Dougherty

Feb 27, 2015, 12:09:30 AM2/27/15
to naturallog, play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
I haven't got a firm answer about another 2.4 milestone yet, but I think we've got most of the key PRs (3965, 3964, 3971) merged so hopefully a release isn't far away.

Ben McCann

Feb 27, 2015, 2:43:42 AM2/27/15
to Rich Dougherty, naturallog, play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
I have a smaller PR or two I'd like to submit to build on 3971, but they'll be much smaller, so should be easy to get them in.

-Ben

Ben McCann

Mar 11, 2015, 12:14:01 PM3/11/15
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Igmar, thanks for testing it out!

For all of these, a few more details would be super appreciated. If you can clarify them to the point of being able to file bugs we can assign them to the 2.4.0 milestone in the issue tracker. Also, I believe 2.4.0-M3 was just released and not yet announced, so if you could try out M3 that'd be great as well

1) No application stack is running by default. Makes testing code that relies on very difficult
    Have you seen WithApplication?
2) Doesn't play well with DI : We had to resort to all kinds of hacks
    Were you trying to write tests in Java or Scala? I made some changes that are in M3 which hopefully will make this easier in Java where it was particularly hard compared to Scala
3) Bad feedback : Numbers don't add up, and we can't reliable tell if test have run / succeeded
    Is this reproducible? Can you share more details on how to cause it and what you expect to happen?
4) Tests are sometimes 'ignored'. Still haven't found out the exact trigger
    If you can make a small sample project where you can cause this reproducibily or if there's anything else you can tell us to help investigate that would be great
5) Doesn't play well with Akka
    How so?

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 3:50:49 AM UTC-7, Igmar Palsenberg wrote:

Hi,

The Play team are proud to announce the release of Play 2.4.0-M2.

Some feedback.

1) 2.4.0-M2 is proven to be a solid piece of engineering. We had some minor glitches (DI + Guice stacktraces, requires 4.X or no_aop classifier)
2) It's really fast
3) Nota ll documentation is updated for 2.4.X. This seems to be progressing, and not something common sense can't handle

The biggest issue is testing : The current implementation is unusable, and for a number of reasons :

1) No application stack is running by default. Makes testing code that relies on very difficult
2) Doesn't play well with DI : We had to resort to all kinds of hacks
3) Bad feedback : Numbers don't add up, and we can't reliable tell if test have run / succeeded
4) Tests are sometimes 'ignored'. Still haven't found out the exact trigger
5) Doesn't play well with Akka

It only works well if you either have pure functions to test, or if it's behind a controller, and this had made proper unit tests next to impossible.

I can provide more details if needed.

Regards,

Igmar