Backporting F.Promise / Actions returning CompletionStage to 2.4

Dominik Dorn

May 25, 2016, 5:04:45 AM5/25/16
to play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think it would be a good idea to backport the 2.5. F.Promise implementation (maybe leave the deprecation warning out) and the possibility to return a CompletionStage<Result> in a Action to 2.4.
IMHO, it would certainly allow a smother migration phase from 2.4 to 2.5

What do you think?

Greg Methvin

May 25, 2016, 9:35:04 PM5/25/16
to Dominik Dorn, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure it would be easy to do without breaking backward compatibility. What changes would you make?

Perhaps the Promise implementation could be split into a separate library? That would also help with migration, and then users are completely free to use those APIs as long as they want. Play doesn't really care as long as Promise implements CompletionStage and implements all the CompletionStage methods.

Greg

Greg Methvin
Senior Software Engineer