Branch netty-reactive-streams

Christian Schmitt

Sep 1, 2016, 5:28:08 PM9/1/16
to Play framework dev
Actually to work on netty 4.1 and http2 we should branch netty-reactive-streams.
I made an initial PR to support netty against master her: https://github.com/playframework/netty-reactive-streams/pull/17

gmethvin suggested to branch the current master to 1.0.x and have the new stuff in master (https://gitter.im/playframework/contributors?at=57c89b70861faa7f07ad96f4)

Another possible way would be:
4.0 for netty 4.0 related stuff
4.1 for netty 4.1 related stuff

What do people actually prefer?
As of now it would be easier to go with gmethvin suggestions while the 4.0/4.1 would be more close to the netty repo (https://github.com/netty/netty)

James Roper

Sep 4, 2016, 8:43:04 PM9/4/16
to Christian Schmitt, Play framework dev
My preference would be to use semantic versioning.  Since the upgrade to Netty 4.1 is a breaking change, that would make the new version 2.0.x.

The problem with matching the Netty version numbers is that the lifecycle of the project may not match Netty - perhaps after adding and releasing HTTP2 support we find that our approach was wrong and we need to change the API, then we'd have to do a breaking change in a point version of 4.1.x.  Of course, there's always a risk that we'll need to do a breaking change to the 4.0 version, and that will have to be a 1.1.x, but the chance of that happening I think is much lower than the chance of a breaking change happening on the current active development branch.

James Roper
Software Engineer

Lightbend – Build reactive apps!
Twitter: @jroper