Transferring ownership

Jeremy Kahn

Dec 4, 2012, 11:25:32 AM12/4/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

You may have noticed that my contributions to Pine have been slowing down lately. The truth is, my own interest in the project has been waning. That's not to say I don't think it is a valuable project, I'm just losing interest in investing the time and energy into actually building it.

I have a multitude of open source projects that I am working on in tandem, and I (as any programmer) tend to focus on the projects which I find the most interesting. I really enjoy working on my animation-related projects, but that detracts from my focus on Pine.

I think the right thing to do is transfer ownership of Pine to someone who has a more vested interest in its success. Let's discuss possibilities in this thread.

I'd still like to contribute to Pine, but at this point I don't think that I am the best person to be leading the project. Who is interested in inheriting it?

Scott Elcomb

Dec 4, 2012, 12:19:53 PM12/4/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear it, but understandable. I'm in a similar boat in that I
don't have lots of time to commit (still very interested though).
I've a half-dozen or so long-term projects that I pick away at and I'm
really glad to count Pine among them - of all the projects I work on,
Pine has my favorite mission and the values specified to date are
values I agree with. I would very much like to see Pine develop over
the next year or two*; if nobody else steps forward, I'd be happy to
maintain the project.

Best,
- Scott.

* Over the last 6 months or so I've been looking to move the focus of
my business from IS/IT consulting to developing
entertainment/edutainment software. That was (and remains) a part of
my motivation in getting involved. It was also my motivation to
acquire a Kinect and jump on Ouya, the Oculus Rift, FPS Creator 2 and
other crowd-funded gamedev projects.

Slowly but surely the technical difficulties we face are dropping away
(GPU acceleration in Chrome, MongoDB, etc). I really think the
original Pine vision can happen; when it does, it'll be entertaining
and educational for both users and developers.

--
Scott Elcomb
@psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems
http://code.google.com/p/atomos/

Member of the Pirate Party of Canada
http://www.pirateparty.ca/

Jeremy Kahn

Dec 4, 2012, 10:20:18 PM12/4/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
I was kind of hoping you'd say that, Scott. I think you'd be a great maintainer for Pine, as it sounds like you have more of a business need for it than I. Pine was always a side project/hobby for me. Let's let this thread simmer for a few days, in case anyone else wants to chime in - after that I will transfer the Github repo to you. You already have commit access, so it's mostly a formality anyways.

The interface is in an unfinished but stable state. I need to write up some documentation so that you and others don't have to reverse-engineer things too much.

I'm optimistic for the project as well, and I do intend to continue to contribute - probably at about the rate I already do. I just want to make sure that the primary maintainer is more able to invest themselves in it than I.

Alex Wilson

Dec 4, 2012, 10:24:56 PM12/4/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
I plan to continue working on Pine when I have time to; I've learned a lot so far working on the project, and I want to continue helping to move the project forward. I'm 100% behind Scott taking the lead.

Jeremy Kahn

Dec 9, 2012, 10:54:08 PM12/9/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Scott, I just tried transferring my repo to you, but I can't because you have already have a fork.  Please delete your fork repo so I can transfer Pine to you.

Scott Elcomb

Dec 10, 2012, 5:07:26 PM12/10/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the delay; the wife had me on Christmas prep duty so I
actually didn't get much of anything done this weekend. :'(

Just removed my old fork. Thank you (and Alex!) for the vote of confidence.

Best,
- Scott.

Jeremy Kahn

Dec 11, 2012, 12:46:31 AM12/11/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
You deserve it!  :)

The transfer has been requested.  Apparently it isn't an automatic process.  I'll maintain a fork of my own so people don't get completely confused.

Jeremy Kahn

Dec 11, 2012, 11:37:48 PM12/11/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Aaaand it's done.  I just tweeted the news.