Bringing things together

Scott Elcomb

Oct 31, 2012, 4:08:10 PM10/31/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

So I finally got around to testing turbo mode on the Pi this past
weekend and to reviewing Jeremy's input-event-daemon additions (which
now merged into master).

Rather than muck around with the previous Raspbian release that we
were using, I opted to update to the latest version which has support
for turbo mode out of the box. Turns out that auto-pine ends up
rebooting qemu continuously during the setup process so I'm going back
to refactor those scripts and clean them up. I expect it to be ready
in the next week or so.

(In my current build I'm also using OpenBox to prevent ALT-F4 from
closing Chromium. Ideally (and if I'm interpreting Jeremy's motives
correctly), this action will be handled via input-event-daemon so that
the PINE menu system is not short-circuited.)

As part of the auto-pine update, I'd also like to replace the
static-file server in
<https://github.com/jeremyckahn/pine/tree/master/auto-pine/defaults/stage-2/home/pine-user>
with something a little more fun/useful... would the dev-server from
<https://github.com/jeremyckahn/pine/tree/master/ui> be a good choice?

--
Scott Elcomb
@psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems
http://code.google.com/p/atomos/

Member of the Pirate Party of Canada
http://www.pirateparty.ca/

Jeremy Kahn

Oct 31, 2012, 11:00:46 PM10/31/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks for reviewing my BASH code!  I mostly don't know what I'm doing with that. :)

When I put together the input-event-daemon code, we were still going with the approach of sandboxing games in iFrames.  I've since had to abandon that approach due to poor iFrame performance, and game exiting is being handled by the Standard Pine (JavaScript) Library.  I still think it is valuable to have a user controllable "master kill switch."  For instance, if we want to build in a hardware reset button, it would be wired to this code.  If we can get good gamepad support at the operating system level, we should ditch my game exit code for a Linux daemon for better reliability.  That's a larger effort though, and the current solution works as long as game developers implement it correctly.

Replacing the older static server with dev-server.js sounds good to me.  That was just the quickest thing I could get serving.

Jeremy Kahn

Scott Elcomb

Nov 1, 2012, 12:17:15 PM11/1/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com

Pretty straight forward and I think you did a fine job.  If you ever need more info, here's "the bible" for BASH (at least as far as I'm concerned ;-) <http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/>

When I put together the input-event-daemon code, we were still going with the approach of sandboxing games in iFrames.  I've since had to abandon that approach due to poor iFrame performance, and game exiting is being handled by the Standard Pine (JavaScript) Library.  I still think it is valuable to have a user controllable "master kill switch."  For instance, if we want to build in a hardware reset button, it would be wired to this code.  If we can get good gamepad support at the operating system level, we should ditch my game exit code for a Linux daemon for better reliability.  That's a larger effort though, and the current solution works as long as game developers implement it correctly.

The only USB controller I have at the moment is a cheap Microsoft gamepad (digital d-pad, 4 buttons, 2 triggers); after getting input-event-daemon running on the latest Raspbian I figured it'd be interesting to see if it captured events from the pad - and it did, sort-of.  I can get events for everything but the d-pad.

After auto-pine's fixed up, I'll take another look and document it.

Jeremy Kahn

Nov 1, 2012, 11:25:28 PM11/1/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Pretty straight forward and I think you did a fine job.  If you ever need more info, here's "the bible" for BASH (at least as far as I'm concerned ;-) <http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/>

Thanks!  And thanks for the link, that's really handy.  Bookmarked.

The only USB controller I have at the moment is a cheap Microsoft gamepad (digital d-pad, 4 buttons, 2 triggers); after getting input-event-daemon running on the latest Raspbian I figured it'd be interesting to see if it captured events from the pad - and it did, sort-of.  I can get events for everything but the d-pad.
After auto-pine's fixed up, I'll take another look and document it.

Sweet.  If you get a chance, please try to make a mapping for your controller with my instructions to see if it works for you.

prasincs

Dec 16, 2012, 9:05:24 AM12/16/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Has anybody looked at using the new Arduino with this? Something like the Arduino Esplora would be perfect for this. http://www.wired.com/design/2012/12/arduino-esplora/

Jeremy Kahn

Dec 16, 2012, 1:03:23 PM12/16/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi prasincs,

I saw that the other day on Hacker News.  It seems like the perfect match for Pine!  Were you planning on getting one of these to try out?  I've been using my 5 year old Logitech gamepad, and I'd definitely be curious how well the Esplora integrates with the Rapsberry Pi/Pine.

Prasanna Gautam

Dec 16, 2012, 1:10:15 PM12/16/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Basically, yeah (no promises! :P) I recently got two Rev2 Pis for personal use.. that could be used for testing Pine for fun and profit.

Scott Elcomb

Dec 16, 2012, 12:39:55 PM12/16/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM, prasincs <prasann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anybody looked at using the new Arduino with this? Something like the
> Arduino Esplora would be perfect for this.
> http://www.wired.com/design/2012/12/arduino-esplora/

Actually I spent some time on Friday trying to find an online supplier
to order from. According to <http://arduino.cc/en/Main/BuyEsplora> :
"At the moment the Arduino Esplora is available only at your local
RadioShack shops."

Searching on the RadioShack website didn't turn anything up either :-(

Unfortunately, RadioShack in Canada isn't anything like it was back
when I was a kid. They're called "The Source" here now and don't
appear to stock much of anything beyond consumer electronics.

I'm hoping that the situation will change soon - it's definitely on my
wish list.

Alex Wilson

Dec 25, 2012, 11:12:01 AM12/25/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Just got my hands on a Pi; I just got it set up with Wheezy.

I plan to spend a good portion of time this week finalizing the API specs and doing what I can to implement them; is there anything else I can help with now that I have a device?

Jeremy Kahn

Dec 25, 2012, 11:55:30 AM12/25/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!  I also have a Pi now (it came last week), but I don't actually have a monitor or cables or other accessories... whoops.  If you could, I'd love to know what kind of framerates you get when running the benchmarks.  Try adding more square with the Space bar to see when the framerate drops off.

There's a lot for me to do as well.  There's still lots of UI work that's needed, and we'll also need to have a service that stores and distribute game files.  I'll have to think about that a bit and start another thread for it.

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Alex Wilson <arex...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just got my hands on a Pi; I just got it set up with Wheezy.

I plan to spend a good portion of time this week finalizing the API specs and doing what I can to implement them; is there anything else I can help with now that I have a device?

Alex Wilson

Dec 27, 2012, 9:22:13 PM12/27/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm having trouble getting the generated Pine image to work. I used your auto-pine scripts and they run without a hitch, but the Raspberry Pi doesn't start up with it. I am using Ubuntu, so that could cause some problems; any suggestions?

Scott Elcomb

Dec 28, 2012, 12:53:49 PM12/28/12
to pine-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the delay - just getting going after some Christmas mayhem. =D

Auto-pine has some pretty significant issues atm so I'd recommend
against using it just yet. I'll try to fix it up this weekend - it's
on the top of my todo list and will be updated asap. I think I still
have an older image that works; if so I'll stick it on a server for
you when I get home from work tonight. If not, I'll parse the scripts
in the auto-pine/bin folder and stick some instructions on the wiki
for building the distro manually.

Got a pair of Model B's in just before Christmas, minus the supporting
hardware (wifi dongles, mini-keyboards, mice & cables) which should be
arriving any day. I need one more component - a small HD display - at
which point I'll get the Continuous Integration build system in place.
(Auto-pine will be fixed before I order the display ;-)