Comparing three proportions or medians

annamaija

Sep 19, 2014, 2:28:45 PM9/19/14
to piface-d...@googlegroups.com
This will be a randomized controlled clinical trial with three groups (1: placebo control, 2: treatment of interest, 3: standard treatment) and the final outcome will be comparison of proportions or medians.

Actually the most interesting comparisons would be
1) if there is a difference in proportions (or median scores) btw 1 and 2 and
2) if there is a difference in proportions (or median scores) btw 2 and 3

What calculator should I use? Thanks! Anna-Maija

Zekeriya Akturk

Sep 20, 2014, 4:45:56 PM9/20/14
to piface-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anna. I don't understand how you plan comparing proportions OR medians. What is your outcome variable?
Best wishes.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

annamaija

Sep 21, 2014, 2:49:10 AM9/21/14
to piface-d...@googlegroups.com
The outcome can be 1) proporion of patients (dogs) that improved to a specified level (in certain type of chronic ear infection) or 2) the medians of the summed scores of four measured aspects of the infection (maximum score 12). Maybe even both. And just to mention that all groups (even the placebo) would receive similar mechanical manipulation so there shouldn't be any ethical issues. But of course this would go through ethical committee :-) Anna

Zekeriya Akturk

Sep 21, 2014, 9:19:58 AM9/21/14
to piface-d...@googlegroups.com
In this case, I would say the numerical data (comparing scores between groups) is a stronger comparison. For this you can use Kruskal Wallis test with post hoc analysis. There are many softwares making this calculations. I am using the SPSS (www.ibm.com/software/analytics/spss/). If you should need help in doing the analysis, send me your data and I will try to do it for you.

annamaija

Sep 21, 2014, 11:45:45 AM9/21/14
to piface-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I did not ask my question very clearly. I only need help with the sample size calculation. What kind of calculator to use to estimate the sample size for a study with these three groups comparing proportions or means. Anna

Zekeriya Akturk

Sep 22, 2014, 3:01:34 AM9/22/14
to piface-d...@googlegroups.com

annamaija

Sep 22, 2014, 8:55:41 AM9/22/14
to piface-d...@googlegroups.com
Well, my intended original question was that which one of those numerous Rush Lenth calculatores, if any, could I use in this situation.  Anna