Request of feedback on planned proceedure

pablo arnal

Aug 6, 2014, 8:36:49 AM8/6/14
to piface-d...@googlegroups.com
Dear members,

I am writing you to request your feedback on the procedure I am planning to perform to estimate sample size and to ask you a few questions.

I am researching how to carbonize biomass -like sunflower hulls- by simple methods at laboratory-scale. Recently, I found a new simple method (let us call it method A). On the other side, in the scientific literature we can find that scientist have used so far other 3 different methods to carbonize biomass at laboratory-scale (let us call them methods B, C & D).

When trying to find out which percentage of published articles used methods B, C & D, respectively, I faced a big problem: 5300 articles to check. I ought to check each article (found with a set of keywords in Scopus) to determine whether method B, C or D has been used has been used in each article.

Instead of reading all of them, I would like to determine the number of articles that I should randomly select (i.e. the sample size) to be able to determine the percentage of articles that use methods B, C and D in the literature with an accuracy of 10%.

To obtain this estimate for each method, I used Russ Lenth's applet (CI for a proportion) with following input:
  • finite population: 5300
  • worst case: 0.8
  • confidence: 0.9
  • Margin of error: 0.1
As result, I obtained a sample size of 44 (43.94).

A few questions:
  • Why does the check mark dissapear when I change the worst case from .5 to .8?
  • Does worst case mean power of test (i.e. pi)?
  • Does margin of error mean accuracy?
  • Does confidence 0.9 means alfa=0.1?
  • Does 10% accuracy mean that the experimentally obtained value for the proportion has an error of +/-5%?
  • Should I use different sets of 44-randomly generated numbers (from 1 to 5300) for each type of method of carbon preparation?
Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Kind regards

Pablo

Lenth, Russell V

Aug 7, 2014, 8:41:48 AM8/7/14
to <pmarnal@gmail.com>, piface-d...@googlegroups.com
The worst case is when the true pi is .5. That's the case where the CI has maximum width. The check mark goes away when you pick a different value of pi. The 10% margin of error means your confidence interval is the observed percent, plus or minus 10 percent points. You will need about 4 times as much data to get plus or minus 5 percent. In addition, I suggest you use 95% confidence, i.e. alpha = .05. You should use only one sample, and tally the percent of each method found in the studies you sampled.

Russ

Sent from my iPad