Ideas for Pi Crust variations. Maybe with analog converters?

Joe Walnes

Oct 25, 2012, 8:52:47 PM10/25/12
to pic...@googlegroups.com
The majority of the work that went into designing the Pi Crust was figuring out the dimensions of the board so as to fit snugly on the Pi, and finding a worthy connector.

Now that we have this, it should be straight forward to remove all the individual headers and replace them with things that perform other functions.

For example, if we removed the SPI and UART headers, we could probably squeeze on some analog converters (DAC or ADC) instead.

Sound interesting? Let me know your thoughts or other ideas.

-Joe

james...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2013, 3:23:06 PM1/25/13
to pic...@googlegroups.com

I'm interested in being able to work with an array of microphones (e.g. to locate sound sources by computing the time delay between pairs of microphones). I'm starting to work with the MPC3008 (8 channel ADC), with the goal of seeing if I can get reasonable data into the RPi. My main worry is timing (i.e. even spacing of samples), since linux on RPi isn't real-time.

The examples of ADCs hooked up to RPi that I've seen so far have not needed audio sample rates. The MPC3008 is spec'd to support 200K samples per second, distributed across the 8 channels, for a max of 12.5KHz audio sample rate per channel if using all 8 channels.

Kyle Platt

Jan 30, 2013, 11:37:48 AM1/30/13
to pic...@googlegroups.com
I would be more interested in seeing protection circuits integrated, would be a fun smd starter project.

Joe Walnes

Feb 5, 2013, 9:25:42 AM2/5/13
to james...@gmail.com, pic...@googlegroups.com
(Including group)

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Joe Walnes <j...@walnes.com> wrote:
Hi James

Thanks for the suggestions. And ADC is definitely on the radar. Audio sample rates are a much trickier beast though. I would be interested to hear any more of your findings.

Thanks
-Joe

Joe Walnes

Feb 5, 2013, 9:25:51 AM2/5/13
to Kyle Platt, pic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kyle

Yes indeed - integrated circuit protections would be great addition.

Thanks
-Joe