Lightning round talks...

Eric Davisson

Oct 6, 2014, 2:19:50 PM10/6/14
to phx...@googlegroups.com

Is it just me or did this last months meeting work out really well. My only reason for wanting to do lightning round talks was to mitigate having 3 1-hour talks dominate the entire meeting; as the meetings are supposed to be social first. We had 3-ish talks that lasted about an hour total (from AltF4, Candis, and I). What worked out is that in that given hour, sticking to a 10-15 minute format didn't really matter (being that we kept the entire round to under an hour). The talk by Candis was over 15 minutes (and as it should have been given the content), and mine may have been under 5 minutes (probably about 10), and Alts was somewhere in the sweet spot.

As much as I dislike too much formality, maybe we should strive to replicate this cap. One suggestion would be for those who want to give a talk to submit to this discussion group (under whatever monthly topic like “October 2014 Meeting”). Pretty much just what you plan to talk about and how long you think it should take. That way we know how many is too many for that month.

I witnessed something similar with a conference in July, it was 1 day before HOPE, called Neighbors on Planet Earth (NOPE). Talk submissions were essentially a tweet @neighborcon the morning of the Con. For example, on Jul 17 from @rabite (Weeve): “Doing the Mephistopholean beard style for @neighborcon. Apparently I am speaking there around dinnerish tonight.”

Tan Kilo

Oct 18, 2014, 2:28:20 AM10/18/14
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me