Jason Scott in PHX - 6502, Arcades, Tape

Will Bradley

Feb 25, 2014, 5:06:37 AM2/25/14
to HeatSync Labs Google Group, phx...@googlegroups.com
Do you know anyone involved in the history of the 6502, Arcades, or Tape? Are you interested in archival, or computer history?

Jason Scott aka @textfiles / textfiles.org / archiveteam.org is in Phoenix for the next few days and I'm trying to find people (other than the co-creator of the 6502, who happens to live here) who may be valuable to interview for his documentary.

Additionally, we might plan some sort of social meet Wed/Thu night, so keep your calendars open and ears perked -- I suspect further announcements will be forthcoming on the HeatSync forums or Jason's twitter account. In the meantime, please post any clues you have as to the history/archival of 6502 / Arcades / Tape here.

Cheers!

Eric Davisson

Feb 25, 2014, 5:17:14 AM2/25/14
to phx...@googlegroups.com

I wish I had referrals, but I would be interested in the HeatSync hangout, Jason is a great guy.

Garrett Fogerlie

Feb 25, 2014, 5:18:28 AM2/25/14
to phx...@googlegroups.com

My dad used to be into that. I know his friend Grant Simpson is very knowledgeable on the subject. I however know very little on the subject, but I'll try to see if either of them would be interested. I think they still have a warehouse of very old arcades. Heck, i have 6 out on my patio, i think only one or two still work.

I didn't check the links you posted, but do they give more detail on the documentary? If not could you enlighten me.

Garrett

On Feb 25, 2014 3:06 AM, "Will Bradley" <bradle...@gmail.com> wrote:

Will Bradley

Feb 25, 2014, 5:25:35 AM2/25/14
to phx...@googlegroups.com

I don't have further info on the documentaries unfortunately. Do you know to what extent your dad/friend are involved in arcades? I'll likely just point Jason to this thread, and he'll probably have plenty of offers, so details and contact info will be a good idea. (Feel free to email phone info to bradley dot will at gmail if you have a good interview contact; Jason is only in town til Thursday.)

Garrett Fogerlie

Feb 25, 2014, 5:39:05 AM2/25/14
to phx...@googlegroups.com

Here is a link to the documentary (I believe) http://www.extremetech.com/computing/96313-the-tech-umentaries-of-jason-scott

They owned several arcade shops (or whatever you would call a place that people go to play arcades) starting in the early or mid 80's. My dad, Dennis, knows a ton about the components, and I don't know if Grant does too, but I'd be shocked if Grant doesn't know a ton about the software side at the very least.

I'll see what I can find out this afternoon. This sounds very cool. Please post details here if there will be a meet up. I have plans Wednesday night, but I may be able to cancel for this.

Will Bradley

Feb 26, 2014, 12:59:34 AM2/26/14
to phx...@googlegroups.com, HeatSync Labs Google Group

Meetup scheduled!!
If you'd like to meet Jason or ask about his work, stop by HeatSync tonight (Wednesday) in the vicinity of 7pm-midnight.

It's going to be a busy day, so he'll probably run late, but feel free to show up early and partake in the electronics or Code for America events happening at the same time.

Garrett Fogerlie

Feb 26, 2014, 4:31:06 AM2/26/14
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Just an update, my dad isn't interested, and I haven't been able to contact Grant yet.

Will Bradley

Mar 4, 2014, 6:54:37 AM3/4/14
to HeatSync Labs Google Group, phx...@googlegroups.com
Here's some shots from his Arcade interview with Mesa's Power Pill: http://www.flickr.com/photos/textfiles/sets/72157630600565424

Thanks to all your enthusiasm, Jason is planning to make another trip to Phoenix if possible! Keep those resources coming: our digital history is important to save and document :)

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Myles Wakeham <my...@edgeneering.com> wrote:

Not sure what level of involvement would be relevant.  I bought an Apple II in 1979, and I've been a recording engineer (with tape) since the 1980s.  But its not like I invented anything at the core of any of this.  I do have about 6 Apple II computers in my retro-computing collection, and I still have an old Tascam 16 track 1/2" tape unit and about 30 AMPEX reels in storage as well.  They all work, but just not actively used. He's welcome to film anything if he feels its relevant.

But I'd love to meet the man.  Watched all of his docos over the years.  The man is a saint to history and our community.

Myles