SDRs HackRF Vs. BladeRF

Garrett Fogerlie

Aug 12, 2015, 7:50:07 AM8/12/15
to PHX2600
Is anyone familiar with software defined radios? I don't know much about them but kinda want to pick one up to play around with. I'm not sure what unit to buy, and like most things I get I'm sure I'll be used for a month then it will live the rest of its life in one of my gear boxes.

Below is an image of the different units and their features. I want to play with wireless cameras, my wireless ADT home alarm (that is supposedly vulnerable,) and maybe celular frequencies. So 340MHz to 2.5GHz should be fine I think. The main thing I don't know about is if I will need a full duplex unit. It would be nice to transmit and receive responses but is this necessary? The HackRF is pretty cheap but it is only half duplex and has a lower sample rate and size.

So if anyone has played around with any of these units or has any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks,
Garrett

Eric (XlogicX) Davisson

Aug 12, 2015, 7:55:06 AM8/12/15
to phx...@googlegroups.com

you wanna talk to Schuyler (spelling?). i dont think hes a phx2600 regular, but he goes to heatsync, fridays are probably best. he gave a talk on software defined radios at cactuscon. Hes a teenager, but still most likely your best bet and most knowedgeable and experienced with that stuff.

Garrett Fogerlie

Aug 12, 2015, 7:58:48 AM8/12/15
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I think he goes by docprofsky on twitter. I'll try to get in touch with him.

Eric (XlogicX) Davisson

Aug 12, 2015, 7:59:55 AM8/12/15
to phx...@googlegroups.com

yep, sounds about right.

Schuyler St. Leger

Aug 12, 2015, 1:52:34 PM8/12/15
to PHX2600
Full duplex for most purposes is not necessary. It is necessary if you want to transmit in response to something else being transmitted. This would be useful if you want to jam or otherwise modify a signal as it is being transmitted, if you want to do something with RFID (E-ZPass), or for radar type things.

Minds Forge

Aug 13, 2015, 1:39:06 PM8/13/15
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you're interested in transmitting, but if you just want to get your toes wet: RTLSDR

I haven't tried it myself but I subscribe to: https://www.reddit.com/r/RTLSDR/

Interesting stuff, definitely something I want to check out someday

Garrett Fogerlie

Aug 13, 2015, 5:42:48 PM8/13/15
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thanks. I'll look into it.