GPS Simulators... So this is a thing..

John Aho

Jul 14, 2016, 2:51:22 AM7/14/16
to PHX2600
I found a portable battery powered GPS/GLosnass recording system that lets you record gps signals and playback the gps signal...

http://www.labsat.co.uk/index.php/en/products/labsat-3

So you could record yourself walking around for an hour, loop it, turn on pokemon go and replay it...  adding kilometers to your eggs while you sleep..

Doing some ebay digging and you can get gps satellite simulators for about the same price.. but not portable like this.

I mean there are other *things* you could use a gps simulator with replay ability for...

Chris Kankiewicz

Jul 14, 2016, 11:31:25 AM7/14/16
to PHX2600
Cool tech and definitely an interesting idea but if all you wanted to accomplish was to hatch eggs in Pokemon Go you could just turn on developer mode on your phone and send your phone false GPS coordinates (though I've heard you need root to make the false coordinates appear real).  That being said, I'd love to see someone make your idea work.

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Charles Bock

Jul 14, 2016, 11:35:58 AM7/14/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com

Garrett Fogerlie

Jul 14, 2016, 3:22:45 PM7/14/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com
You could probably do this with an SDR using something like gps-sdr-sim.

Charles Bock

Jul 14, 2016, 3:24:37 PM7/14/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Almost definitely, I have a hackrf if you want to play with the idea. It should be capable of GPS frequencies.

Garrett Fogerlie

Jul 14, 2016, 3:26:43 PM7/14/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I have one too. Pretty easy to setup, but I've read that GPS is a bit iffy with the HackRF. I would think it would work, I didn't Google it yet though.

John Aho

Jul 15, 2016, 2:05:05 AM7/15/16
to PHX2600
Thanks! I didn't know about that..

John Aho

Jul 15, 2016, 2:57:20 AM7/15/16
to PHX2600
That's pretty cool, I wanted to get one of those a while back.

I've got a couple bargain basement under $10 SDR's on a stick that I'm going to give it a try with first.

I found a defcon talk on it: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/286330869_Low-cost_GPS_simulator_-_GPS_spoofing_by_SDR

I found a site with tutorials on getting started with SDR: http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

This looks like it is going to be a lot fun to play with.

~John

Garrett Fogerlie

Jul 15, 2016, 3:28:51 AM7/15/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure that you can transmit with a cheap SDR.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phx2600/bc4f36b8-5c1e-48e3-8575-81ad8e7842ff%40googlegroups.com.

Minds Forge

Jul 15, 2016, 10:51:49 AM7/15/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, you can't xmit with an RTL-SDR (It's a re-purposed TV receiver) but you can get started with the concepts and software (SDR block in gnuradio) which will carry over when you're ready.

I have been fiddling with an RTL-SDR and am waiting the Lime Microsystem's crew to pump this out: https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/limesdr

It's even possible to hook the RTL-SDR to an android device: http://www.rtl-sdr.com/sdr-touch-brings-rtl-sdr-to-android/
which I find very cool, but I haven't bought the software yet so I've been locked into demo mode... someday I'll get around to it ;)

Also if you're going to be fiddling with GPS receiving with the RTL you'll need a powered antenna: https://sdrgps.blogspot.com/2015/12/first-proof-of-concept-gps-fix-in.html

Sooo much to look into folks 😅