Installing on Ubuntu server 14.04: Unable to locate package passenger

giorgi...@certhidea.it

Apr 26, 2014, 8:55:21 AM4/26/14
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, i'm following your guide on installing Passenger with Nginx on ubuntu server 14.04, as explained on http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guide%20Nginx.html
I've found that on oss-binaries.phusionpassenger.com there is the Trusty folder so i tryed to install on ubuntu 14.04.
I've create the passenger.list file with the trusty packages request. I've no errors when i do apt-get update.
Everithing goes well till when i do
sudo apt-get install nginx-extras passenger.

Ubuntu tell me: Unable to locate package passenger !

I've made the same procedure for ubuntu 12.04 and all run wery well, without issue on findind package passenger.

What can i do to resolve this error?

thanks for your effort on make so simple install nginx+passenger for rails apps.
Giorgio

Christopher Caruk

Apr 26, 2014, 12:20:05 PM4/26/14
I found that I had to change the permissions on /etc/apt/sources.list.d/passenger.list so that everyone could read.

The instructions say:

  sudo chown root: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/passenger.list
  sudo chmod 600 /etc/apt/sources.list.d/passenger.list
  sudo apt-get update

but I had to "sudo chmod a+r /etc/apt/sources.list.d/passenger.list" BEFORE "sudo apt-get update".

Once done 14.04 seems to find passenger but still cannot install:

# apt-cache policy nginx-extras
nginx-extras:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:1.4.2-2.4.0.20~raring1
  Version table:
     1:1.4.2-2.4.0.20~raring1 0
        500 https://oss-binaries.phusionpassenger.com/apt/passenger/ raring/main amd64 Packages
     1.4.6-1ubuntu3 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages

But when I try to install I am seeing unresolved dependencies:

# sudo apt-get install nginx-extras passenger passenger-dev
.
.
.
or been moved out of Incoming.

 nginx-extras : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
                Depends: libgd2-noxpm (>= 2.0.36~rc1~dfsg) but it is not installable or
                         libgd2-xpm (>= 2.0.36~rc1~dfsg) but it is not installable
                Depends: libperl5.14 (>= 5.14.2) but it is not installable
                Recommends: passenger (< 4.0.21) but 1:4.0.20-1~raring1 is to be installed
 passenger : Depends: libruby1.8 (>= 1.8.7.357-1) but it is not installable
             Depends: rubygems (>= 1.2) but it is not installable
             Recommends: passenger-doc (= 1:4.0.20-1~raring1)
             Recommends: crash-watch but it is not going to be installed

and here is where I have been stuck for the last couple hours.

Are you making progress?
Chris

Message has been deleted

Hongli Lai

Apr 29, 2014, 12:24:46 PM4/29/14
to phusion-passenger
Packages for Ubuntu 14.04 are still work in progress.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phusion-passenger/cdc77edb-be28-4581-ac1c-f544a87f818e%40googlegroups.com.

Phusion | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)
Message has been deleted

Hongli Lai

May 6, 2014, 12:02:08 PM5/6/14
to Kurt Preston, phusion-passenger
We estimate maybe a week. It could take longer if we run into
unexpected problems.

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Kurt Preston <kurt.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hongli,
>
> Is there a known timeline for the 14.04 packages? Just trying to figure out
> if it's worth waiting, or if I should downgrade to 12.04.
>
> Thanks!

Marcell Kiss

Jun 18, 2015, 3:17:02 AM6/18/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher, did you manage to solve it? I have totally the same problem:

nginx-extras : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
                Depends: libgd2-noxpm (>= 2.0.36~rc1~dfsg) but it is not installable or
                         libgd2-xpm (>= 2.0.36~rc1~dfsg) but it is not installable
                Depends: libperl5.14 (>= 5.14.2) but it is not installable
                Recommends: passenger (< 5.0.11) but 1:5.0.10-1~precise1 is to be installed

Thanks,
Marcell

Hongli Lai

Jun 18, 2015, 3:35:31 AM6/18/15
to phusion-passenger
Those messages usually indicate that you added the repository for the
wrong distribution.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phusion-passenger/3c40ca30-ad87-4f0d-9043-72656a8403ef%40googlegroups.com.

Phusion B.V. | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions
Chamber of commerce no: 63501007 (The Netherlands)